Friday, July 10, 2015

Meet Rita Finalist Kate Breslin and her novel FOR SUCH A TIME


Rita Finalist
Welcome Kate…
We're so glad you're here.  We want to hear all about your RITA final. 


Describe the call:

When the telephone rang at 8 a.m. I was sure it was some telemarketer calling at that time of morning. I rushed to pick up the phone, hoping the ringer wouldn't wake my husband while mentally arming myself to tell this person I wasn't interested. Even when I answered the phone and she asked to verify my full name, it didn't sink in--I'd forgotten what day it was and didn't realize finalists were being contacted. Then she introduced herself and told me my debut novel, For Such A Time, was a double-RITA finalist. I just gripped the phone, stunned for a few seconds, then said, "Oh my gosh, really? You're kidding!" about three times. I wish I could remember her name, but a foggy haze had already invaded my brain. She was very gracious though, and I remember being relieved that I'd been polite when I picked up the phone. :)

After finding out you were a finalist, who did you call first and tell?

I was ready to burst, let me tell you! I almost woke up my husband anyway, but knew he'd be too groggy to really appreciate the moment. So I held it inside a few minutes as I cried and thanked God, still not believing such wonderful news. Afterward I went online and discovered the word was out. I shared with my editor and publicist and agent next, then called my mom. When my hubby finally woke up and heard the news, he was very happy for me!


What other cool things have happened now that you’re a RITA finalist?

I'd already made arrangements to attend two other conferences this year, so I wasn't planning to attend RWA 2015. Once a finalist however, all that changed. At the urging of friends, I posted on the RWA message board seeking someone to share a room, since by that time both hotels were booked solid. I was also put on a waiting list for the RWA Literacy Signing, which was full. When after a week, I'd still heard nothing, I told myself that if God wanted me there, He would find a way. The very next day an author whom I've never met sent me a post and generously offered to share her room. A few days after that, I received an email telling me someone had cancelled out of the Literacy Signing and it allowed me a place. I consider both of those things pretty cool! :)

Short bio:

A Florida girl and former bookseller, Kate Breslin migrated to the Pacific Northwest where she lives with her family. Kate's written travel articles, published award-winning poetry, and FOR SUCH A TIME is her debut novel. As an author of inspirational romance, Kate enjoys creating stories that show how God's love can bring two hearts together. When she's not writing, Kate loves to read, take long walks in Washington's many beautiful forests, and do a bit of traveling. New places are always great for finding the next story idea. Please visit her atwww.katebreslin.com.

How many books have you written?

Two published novels. For Such A Time is my debut, and my second novel, Not By Sight, is a WWI historical romance and will release in August.

What other kudos have you earned?

I have to say, this has been an amazing year so far. In addition to being a double-RITA finalist, For Such A Time is a 2015 Christy Award finalist and was awarded CBA Retailing's 2015 Best Award for First Book. It was also recently nominated as a double-finalist in ACFW's upcoming Carol Awards. I feel incredibly honored that my novel has received such recognition and support, and this summer will be a very happy and busy time for me!


One piece of advice you have for other authors...

Believe and keep writing. It took me twenty years to finally get published. Reams of rejection letters, gallons of ink, years of conferences, workshops, tears and fears. I must have felt like quitting a thousand times, and then I would sit down again and start again. The time is never lost; years of writing makes us better writers, and years of experience makes us wiser, giving our work more depth and insight. So keep writing!

Tell us a little about this book?

For Such A Time is a love story, a retelling of the Biblical Book of Esther set in a WWII Nazi concentration camp. I got the idea while reading from the Book of Esther as I realized Jews have been persecuted throughout history, with the most recent event being Hitler's Holocaust of WWII. One thought led to another and I wondered if I could set the Biblical story into this more modern venue. After a bit of research and deciding on the story setting, For Such A Time was born.

Genre: Inspirational fiction, historical romance

Publisher: Bethany House, Baker Publishing Group

Plot:

In 1944, blonde and blue-eyed Jewess Hadassah Benjamin feels abandoned by God when she is saved from a firing squad only to be handed over to a new enemy. Pressed into service by SS-Kommandant Colonel Aric von Schmidt at the transit camp of Theresienstadt in Czechoslovakia, she is able to hide behind the false identity of Stella Muller. However, in order to survive and maintain her cover as Aric’s secretary, she is forced to stand by as her own people are sent to Auschwitz.
Suspecting her employer is a man of hidden depths and sympathies, Stella cautiously appeals to him on behalf of those in the camp. Aric’s compassion gives her hope, and she finds herself battling a growing attraction for this man she knows she should despise as an enemy.
Stella pours herself into her efforts to keep even some of the camp’s prisoners safe, but she risks the revelation of her true identity with every attempt. When her bravery brings her to the point of the ultimate sacrifice, she has only her faith to lean upon. Perhaps God has placed her there for such a time as this, but how can she save her people when she is unable to save herself?

Anything else you’d like to share?

I love to connect with readers! I'm on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Pinterest, so please visit www.katebreslin.com and click on the links to find me. 

21 comments:

  1. Good morning, Kate.

    Super congratulations on all your awards. I'll be at RWA so I hope we get a chance to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cate. I look forward to meeting you in NYC!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Cate. I look forward to meeting you in NYC!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I love your "call" story, and the book sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. I hope to see you at another conference this year!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Christine. I hope to see you at another conference this year!

      Delete
  3. I agree! The book sounds fabulous. Thank you so much, Kate, for stopping by and sharing our story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I really appreciate you hosting me. Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Pamela, I really appreciate you hosting me. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a must-read book, Kate. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, thank you. I really hope you enjoy the story!

      Delete
    2. Louise, thank you. I really hope you enjoy the story!

      Delete
  5. Welcome, Kate!! We're so glad to have you. Your story of persistence is amazing. I'm so glad you kept writing and are now seeing this book do so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I appreciate your words. I've got a streak of Irish stubbornness, too, which probably helped. :) God has blessed me on this journey!

      Delete
    2. Missy, I appreciate your words. I've got a streak of Irish stubbornness, too, which probably helped. :) God has blessed me on this journey!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on being a double RITA finalist. I loved your story about getting the call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds amazing! Well deserved being a finalist, I'm sure! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Patricia. Being a RITA finalist is really an honor!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Patricia. Being a RITA finalist is really an honor!

      Delete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive