Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Seeing the Light by Christine Johnson

Lighthouses that is. These structures hold a special place in my heart. I grew up on the shores of Lake Michigan and would look for the light of the offshore lighthouse when it came on after dark. There’s something comforting about that reliable light warning ships and boats away from danger as well as guiding them to safe harbor.

Forty Mile Point Lighthouse


During my sailing days when I was much younger, a lighthouse was a fixed point by which I could measure progress. Each one passed was a milestone. Others indicated where safe harbor could be found.

So when this Labor Day weekend our bicycle ride ended up at a lighthouse, I was overjoyed! We didn’t realize the bike path ended there, so it was a double treat. It was also a lighthouse that I had not visited yet. This one is located on the shores of Lake Huron. 

Forty Mile Point Lighthouse


Forty Mile Point Lighthouse was built in 1896 and, to my delight, still has the foghorn building, bunkhouse, and oil house onsite. The lighthouse is now a museum and open to the public.

Foghorn building
Note the foghorns above the door


Oil house at Forty Mile Point Lighthouse


Lighthouses are often a symbol of the Lord’s guidance and one symbol that I treasure. When life’s storms hit, we need that Light to guide us to safety. His Truth held me above the waves during recent battles with depression and anxiety. I would have been lost and broken apart on the rocks without His presence and guidance. 

I love to include lighthouses in my stories, so I'm thrilled that the real-life location for my Boom Town Brides series had a lighthouse. Actually, it had more than one over time. The first lighthouse collapsed when the sand eroded. The second lighthouse was built farther from the water atop a dune and is the one that existed at the time of my stories. See this article for a picture of it. 

I mention the lighthouse throughout the series, but look for it to play a larger role in the third and fourth books of the series. Book 3 is currently slated to be released in June of 2017.

Have you ever visited a lighthouse? Which is your favorite?

Mail Order Mommy


Christine Johnson
Mail Order Mommy (Nov. 2016)
Honor Redeemed  (Revell, July 2016)
Mail Order Mix-Up (April 2016)

6 comments:

  1. I love lighthouses, and your pictures are so pretty! I would like to visit Marblehead lighthouse on Lake Erie, which is an easy drive for me, but I never make it happen. Terrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I know what you mean, Jill. It took 24 years to make the forty-some mile trip to Forty Mile Point Lighthouse. But it's so worth it. Maybe a trip to Marblehead during color season??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have lighthouses growing up in Southwest Georgia, but I do love seeing them and visiting them. I love movies where lighthouses are featured. Also so romantic and a bit gothic! I agree, they are a guiding light in the storms of life. One day, I'd love to explore lighthouses more. We've been to a few here and there in Florida and in other travels.

    Okay, lighthouses are going on my bucket list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Christine! Such nice symbolism and how special that you include them in your stories.

    Hubby and I visited the lighthouse in Fernandina Beach. There's also one on Hilton Head that we always visit when we're there. Seems I've been to one in Virginia, but can't say where for sure. Maybe the Norfolk area. It was a long time ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lenora! Florida has some great lighthouses. I've been to the one in St. Augustine and, of course, Key West. Definitely worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debby! Oh, two more lighthouses to add to my must-see list!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive