Thursday, September 1, 2016

September Means Autumn!

by Jill Kemerer

Happy September 1! In my mind, September 1st kicks off autumn. I live in northern Ohio where Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer. Once September hits, anticipation swells inside me. The trees begin to turn colors, the temps drop, and I get the sense of a new start. Probably sounds weird thinking the final months of the year as a new start, but I've always felt autumn is a season of beginnings.

New school year, new television shows, new projects...lots of new! Ahh...autumn!


I took this picture at a local park a few years ago!


Depending on the year, we like to hike in local parks or head to a nearby apple orchard to pick a bushel of fruit. The bees go crazy in the fall, so you do have to be careful. You don't want to get stung! And apple orchards tend to mean freshly made donuts. If you've never had a donut made on the spot then tossed in a paper bag with cinnamon sugar, you need to remedy that. Pronto. I still fantasize about a fresh batch from fourteen years ago! They were the best donuts I'd ever had.


Same park, different location within it. I love the covered bridge aspect!

Another perk of fall? My husband and I love watching football. We're more into the college teams, but I'm also an avid Detroit Lions fan (I get mad at them a lot, but I still root for them!). I'm really excited because my hubby surprised me with tickets to see a game at Ford Field. I've never been there before. It will be fun!

But before the NFL games begin, we'll be watching our beloved Michigan Wolverines. Only two more days until kickoff, not that I'm counting or anything. This game will be watched in our living room, surrounded by game-day food. Hot wings, homemade blue cheese dressing, nacho dip and brownies. Bring on the yum!

What do you love about autumn?


***

Jill Kemerer writes Christian romance novels with love, humor and faith for Harlequin Love Inspired. Jill loves coffee, M&Ms, fluffy animals, magazines and her hilarious family. Visit her website, jillkemerer.com, and connect with Jill on Facebook, Twitter and sign up for her Newsletter.




Finding Her Way Home 
Cozy Lake Endwell, Michigan, seems the perfect place for Jade Emerson's new T-shirt shop—and perhaps a fresh start. After a lifetime of letdowns, she is finally ready to face the future on her own. So when local wilderness guide Bryan Sheffield offers to help Jade overcome a past trauma, she warns him they will remain strictly business. But soon, with the help of Bryan's big, complicated family and a boisterous St. Bernard named Teeny, Jade's frozen heart begins to thaw. Now Jade wonders if she can return the favor, bringing a little happiness to a man who has long kept his own sorrow under wraps…



Jill's April 2016 release, Her Small-Town Romance, is available in paperback and digital form through online retailers now. Click HERE for links to most retailers!

17 comments:

  1. Jill, I love the cooler temperatures and the beautiful fall leaves. There is so much color around and we know the holidays are close. This is my favorite season of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Alford, I love fall, too! Knowing Christmas is only a few months away always gets me excited, and I'm with you on the cooler temps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've ALWAYS seen autumn as a season of new beginnings. I'm so happy to hear you do too. I love the pumpkin spice everything ... the changing of the colors (after so many years in California and Florida, that's still a novelty to me here in Ohio!) ... the way the dogs seem to dive into the cooler temps and run around like crazies ... and I get to wear sweaters and jackets again (also a novelty after the aforementioned years!). This is a beautiful post that reminded me IT'S SEPTEMBER!! A new start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, you reminded me of so many things I love about autumn. The colors, the donuts, the apple cider. And yes, the football. Go Wolverines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, Jill.

    I'm with you on the autumn love. I've so often said that I wish my summer vacations were autumn vacations. I'd be more likely to get out and do something.

    It's funny, as I was reading the beginning of your post, I was thinking that one of my favorite parts of autumn is that I allow myself to eat apple cider donuts without feeling guilty. Then I got to your part about donuts!!! Ours aren't freshly made like yours, but come from the farmer's market. Still delicious.

    I saw a meme a few years back that said October is my favorite season. Definitely true for me!

    Our September is starting with rain, but I'm alone in the house today with the dog and the cat and I'm enjoying the cozy sounds of rain on the skylight.

    Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandie Bricker: Ohio in autumn is the BEST! My dog loves it, too. I'll take her for longer walks because it's not as hot. And I'm happy to put the shorts away and get out the sweaters. So cozy!

    Christine: Yay! Go blue!! Love the wolverines! I can't wait to buy my first jug of apple cider. So yummy!

    Cate: Sorry it's raining over there, but the "cozy sounds of rain on the skylight" sounds fantastic! Of course, it makes me want to read. Eyeing the TBR pile... :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, so fun seeing you at the ACFW Conference...even if you cheer for Michigan! Go Bucks!!!

    I love summer, but I'm usually ready for the cool days of fall. For me, it's a poignant time that's somewhat reflective. Perhaps I'm thinking back to summer fun and beach time! :)

    But...we're still hot in Georgia and fall is some weeks away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you Jill, fall is my favorite time of year. Pumpkin and spice and cooler weather and the changing of the colors in the trees and the feeling of anticipation for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, I forgive you for your poor taste in football teams. Haha!! It was delightful to spend time with you at ACFW. You are such an encourager. I want to be just like you!

    Terri, I saw a teaser that pumpkin spice lattes are available now!! Aaah! Yes, everything you said--the weather, the colors, the Christmas anticipation! LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that crisp feeling in the air. Love scattered leaves because when I saw my future husband walking through them at our high school I told my friend that was the man I was going to marry!! And .... I did!! Fall is his favorite season!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lenora, are you okay in Florida? Or is the storm causing problems? Praying for your safety and wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos! We're Atlanta Falcons fans around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lenora, I love that!! You saw him, declared he was the one, and he was! What a great story! So sweet!

    Missy, Thank you! I'm okay with the Falcons. I'm going to have to do a little research on their quarterback. We don't see many Atlanta games up here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fall is my favorite season too, Jill. I have a red maple tree that is already hinting at changing colors and that gets me pumped! Love your photos from last year.

    We're big football fans, too, especially college ball. Our Oklahoma Sooners don't kick off until Sept. 10 but we're ready for some football!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many people love fall, but I'm odd. I don't. It means winter is coming, and I hate cold weather. But like Linda, I do love football!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, your tree sounds so pretty! I'm guessing it gets flaming red by mid-October. Mm-mm! Gorgeous! That's a bummer you have to wait a week for your college kick-off. They're always good, though, so you should have fun this season!

    Merrillee, that is so funny because my daughter said those EXACT words to me last night! I hear you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I moved to Ohio 2 1/2 years ago from California. Even though, there were days in California that felt like Fall. It is nothing like Ohio. I have come to like the 4 season in Ohio, especially, the Fall with all the different color trees and the cool crisp of the air. Truthfully, I start celebrating Fall in the end of August and keep all my Fall stuff out until almost close to Thanksgiving. My special time of year: FALL

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive