Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Happy Valentine's....and enter a drawing!


Hi Everyone.  Happy Valentine's day -- a day early! I so enjoyed reading Meghan's post yesterday.  If you haven't read it yet, check it out.

My husband and I used to give gifts on every occasion. Christmas, of course, and birthdays, but also anniversaries, Mother's Day and Father's Day.  But as Meghan wrote, it can be hard to find the perfect gift.  There were some amusing, useful ones-- like the oddly shaped Christmas gift before we were married: a gift-wrapped exhaust manifold for the Chevy pickup I drove through high school and college to pull my horse trailer.  That package really had me guessing!  :)

But as time marched on, it became more of a chore to find just the right gift, and after Larry retired we decided it was much nicer to just enjoy time together--a dinner out, a nice dinner at home with candlelight, maybe plan for a little trip...or we'd consider something we'd done on the house to be our "gift to each other." When we remodeled the kitchen two years ago I figured that covered Mother's Day, birthdays, anniversaries and Christmas gifts for a long time to come, because I enjoy the changes every single day.  The experiences matter more--and are more memorable--rather than a trinket of some kind.  And shopping for those can be tricky when your husband has no hobbies except for puttering around the acreage and taking the dogs to the dog park!  :)

So....what do you do on Valentine's Day? And--like my exhaust manifold---can you remember a particularly fun or unexpected gift over the years?

Happy Valentine's Day to you all! Those who leave a comment will be in a drawing for a free e-copy of Summer at Briar Lake.  I don't know about you, but I am ready to start thinking about summer!

Roxanne Rustand



6 comments:

  1. Roxanne, my husband and I don't usually do something special for Valentine's Day. We just enjoy spending time with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year, my husband gave me a foot soak and massage at home. A real treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don’t do anything special for Valentine’s Day. My husband shows he loves me every day and I hope he believes the same about me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We usually do something little for Valentine’s Day. My husband loves Hershey bars so I’ll usually get him some version of that with a sweet card. We cook a special meal for our kids on Valentine’s Day (or as close to it as possible). Steak, potatoes, the works. It’s been a tradition for a very long time now. They invite their dates and everything. Only two of our four currently live in town so it’s smaller right now, but hopefully, it will grow again. We serve them and try to make it as special as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day <3

    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    - John 3:16

    Hm...the funny one - my hubby surprised me at work with Roses and 5 lb chocolate bar, which was very popular among the whole building (everyone stopped by to see it) lol It lasted a long time! He knows I LOVE chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  6. We actually went to lunch a day early to beat the rush. But both of us are battling sinus issues and the weather canceled our shopping trip to the outlet mall. He is supposed to preach this Sunday. Taking iver for Pastor who is just back from deployment. The weather looks pretty bad, icy and snowy. We’ll see.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive