Friday, July 19, 2019

Never Will I Ever . . . by Jordyn Redwood


If you are like me, maybe you’ve used this phrase at certain times in your life as an adamant statement of refusal. The first time I used this phrase with meaning was my senior year of college. I said, “Never will I ever move to Kansas, Wyoming, Utah, or Nebraska.” Now before I offend every person that lives in those states know that I didn’t have any personal animosity it was just a strong personal preference.

     
Where did I end up living after nursing school? Kansas. For thirteen years. Thirteen amazing years. I met my husband there. I had my two daughters there. Kansas is where I learned that I loved pediatric nursing. Kansas is where I decided to work on fulfilling my dream of becoming an author. Now, Kansas holds a special place in my heart.

The next time I used this phrase was when I was thinking about what kind of books I would write. I’m a thriller girl. Suspense is what I read. This is what I write. “Never will I ever write romance.” I said this more than a few times. What happens? I feel a nudge to enter one of the Love Inspired contests. I did it begrudgingly. I did it to essentially get God off my back.
Fine. I’ll do this but stop keeping me up at night thinking about it. Okay? Deal.


That was three novels ago and I love my Love Inspired family. It was one of the best things that ever happened to my writing career.

I think when people who love God say this, He takes it as a personal challenge. He knows we’re against it . . . He also knows this is a way He can shine through us. A lot of people knew I didn’t want to write romance so now that I do they ask why. I can’t claim it was my desire to do it. It’s a story I share about how God kept me up one night about a contest that’s first deadline was three days away.

Hmm . . . three days. God does some amazing things in three days. 


As believers, God will use our lives so people can see Him. In our weakness, He shines! In those moments when we have said, “Never will I ever . . .” and we do that very thing, people will wonder why. 

I’m curious, have any of you ever said this statement and did God use you in a special way doing it?

Never will I ever
. . . be careful using those words. It may be the very thing God uses you to do.

*****************************************************************************

Jordyn Redwood is a nursing supervisor by day, suspense novelist by night. She hosts Redwood’s Medical Edge, a blog devoted to helping authors write medically accurate fiction. Her first two medical thrillers, Proof and Poisongarnered starred reviews from Library JournalProof was shortlisted for the 2012 ForeWord Review’s BOTY Award2013 INSPY Award and the 2013 Carol AwardPoison shortlisted for the 2014 INSPY Award and the 2014 Selah Award. Her novel, Taken Hostage, won the 2018 Stiletto Award in published romantic suspense. Fugitive Spy recently finaled in the Selah award and the Stiletto Contest. In addition to her novels, she blogs regularly at Redwood’s Medical Edge and the Love Inspired blog. You can connect with Jordyn via FacebookTwitterPinterest, her website and via e-mail at jordyn@jordynredwood.com. 

10 comments:

  1. As a Kansas farmer's daughter I can state that I wholeheartedly love my state. I spent 40 years as an RN mostly in the NICU so I know how easy it is to fall in love with peds nursing. I'm glad Kansas gave you a boost in life and in careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordyn. I probably used the notion of this, if not the actual words , at least twice.
    I came from a family of teachers, so never was I ever going to be one of them - until I chose to do exactly that. After working for a major motion picture company, I found myself wanting to do something that mattered.

    The second time was never will I ever writing Inspirational fiction. I just didn't feel qualified. And just like you, it was a contest (actually 2) that got me to do it. On a whim (nudge?) I entered a manuscript in the Genesis. Winning my category went a long way towards helping me overcome the fear that I was unworthy of writing Inspy. That gave me the courage to enter Killer Voices which gave me my first published book.

    So now, I'm doing the two things I never thought I would - teaching and writing for LIS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cate! Looks like I'm in GREAT company. God has a funny way of getting us to do things we thought we'd never try.

      Delete
  3. So glad you moved into romance, Jordyn! Love the way God prodded you toward LI! And the number THREE is always meaningful! Three days to publication...sounds like a title!

    As a young wife, I remember saying I would never have a baby on Christmas. I thought children born that day were cheated out of a "real" birthday. I was looking at Christmas through secular eyes.

    So, you guessed it! Our second baby was due on DEC 18, but Joseph was born on DEC 25th. Both of us lived the Nativity Story that year, which was so special and so spiritual. I quickly realized having a child with the same birthday as the Lord was an honor and a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww-- I love that story! So how did you handle their birthday every year ;)!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Jordyn. I don't really know if I said it out loud, but I'm like you, I love suspense, thriller, mysteries, and never thought I'd write romance, although I do like to read it. And now I am on my third book for LI. So yes, I'd agree, we go where God leads us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie!

    Who are some of your favorite thriller authors. I'm always looking for new ones to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t know if I’ve actually ever said that phrase. Like you I’m a suspense and thriller reader. When I love the blending of romance in suspense. I’m glad you listen to God’s call on you.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive