Monday, July 22, 2019

Summer Movie Report by Belle Calhoune



Happy Summer everyone! One of my favorite things about summer are the blockbuster movies. I've always loved going to the movies! I remember we had a blizzard when I was a kid and my sister and I were out from school for weeks. Many times my Dad took us to the movies and I vividly recall seeing Ice Castles and Pippi Longstocking. I still love watching Ice Castles whenever it's on.




When we go to Cape Cod we're able to travel to Wellfleet where there's an old-fashioned drive-in. It's a lot of fun and my kids always loved it when they were little. Not sure they'd still get a thrill out of it but I'm game for it. Two movies for the price of one, as well as the ability to sit in the back of the car with the back hatch up, feeling the cool Cape Cod air brush against my face. And since we arrive in our own cars we can bring as many snacks and drinks as we please. I've been going to drive-ins since I was a little kid and it never gets old.



           

I'm really excited to see The Farewell, a movie about a woman who travels to China because her grandmother is dying. Problem is, her entire family is hiding the truth about her terminal illness from the grandmother.




To All the Boys I've Loved Before. This is a great romantic film on Netflix. It's geared to the Young Adult crowd but I found it really charming. It's about a girl who enters into a fake relationship with a cute boy at her school....and then sparks fly. A very sweet romance. And not just for young adults.



Breakthrough was an amazing, inspirational movie about one woman's tremendous love for her son as he wages the fight of his life after a tragic accident. Speaks to miracles and the power of love. It's not in the theaters any longer but is available through Redbox.  You won't be disappointed in this one.





Although I saw Black Panther when it released in the movie theaters, I couldn't help but rewatch it on DVD. It's so good. I can't really keep up with all the interrelated Marvel movies so it was refreshing to be able to watch a single action hero movie and feel that it wasn't attached to a dozen other films. This movie is innovative and action-packed, along with having a lot of heart and a great diverse cast.



I was really looking forward to seeing Booksmart, along with my 23-year-old daughter. We finally were able to see it last weekend. Although parts of the movie were cute and it's a great premise of two high achieving students who want one night of fun before they graduate, there were many risque and sexual situations that detracted from the overall movie and message. *Disclaimer. Adult content.  If this is on your movie list, beware of adult content and numerous sexual situations.



The movie that I really loved was Little starring a very talented young actress, Marsai Martin. It's very sweet with a great message of being kind and appreciating one's life. It reminded me a little bit of the movie, Big, starring Tom Hanks.                                                                                               




The BIG one I'm looking forward to seeing is the live-action of LION KING. I'm so excited since the Disney one is an all-time favorite. And I love Beyonce so I can't wait to see her rendition of Nala. My girls are also excited about seeing it so we're all on the same page. Movie night! My husband isn't a   big movie goer, but even he's excited about revisiting the world of Simba and the ensemble cast.        




What's on your summer movie list? What movies have you seen this summer? Netflix or movie theater? Raisinets or M & M's?                                                                                                  

                                                 

                                                                          

14 comments:

  1. Great movie recommendations! I haven't been to an actual movie in a theater in years. My husband and I are lazy and wait for it to come out on tv. One movie I especially enjoyed (on tv of course) was Apple Mortgage Cake (on Pure Flix). It was such an inspiring movie and a reminder to never give up on your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leanne. Growing up in a family of five kids trained me to be a movie lover. We used to go all the time. My dad loves classic films so I was educated very early on to love movies and classic films. I haven't seen Apple Mortgage Cake...I will definitely look it up. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Belle, what an amazing list. I can't even tell you what the last movie was that I saw in a theater. Most of the movies I've watched lately have been on the Hallmark Channel.

    I grew up going to Drive-Ins too. I think it would be so much fun to go again. I'm glad Wellfleet still has one. I remember seeing Ring of Brightwater in the drive-in near me. Funny you should mention food though. My favorite part of going to the drive-in was we would stop and get Deli sandwiches on the way. Then we got a new car - NO FOOD ALLOWED! SO sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cate! Drive ins are the best. And I forgot to say we alway stop right down the street and get pizza at Red Barn Pizza for the drive in. So much fun!!! I watch Hallmark channel too but I love going to the movies with my daughters. My husband usually falls asleep lol.

      Delete
  3. Great list! Who didn't want to be an ice skater in the 70s? Ice Castles, Dorothy Hamill :)

    Our favorite family movie is Paddington 2 (Paddington 1 is great, as well) But P2 is the bomb. Even my grown kids like to watch it. As a side note, it's the highest rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri! Dorothy Hamill was amazing and she still looks incredible. That hair style was IT! I think I saw the first Paddington movie but not the second. I'll have to check out the second one. It sounds great. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I love movies whether I'm watching at the theater or Netflix. I want to see Little when it hits DVD and I have watched Black Panther and To All the Boys I've Loved Before more times then I can count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni. Thanks for stopping by. I love Netflix as well. It's so convenient. Little is hilarious. Such a talented cast. I think my girls are the reason I see movies at the theater. They are always raring to go see the latest release. My 16 year old wants to see the Spiderman movie today lol
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Belle, glad there's still at least one drive-in movie theater! So fun! Although not good in hot Georgia in the summer!

    "Hoosiers" was our family's go-to movie. When any of the children were sick, we'd all gather around the TV and watch Hoosiers together! "Goonies" was another favorite.

    I've never seen "Lion King" on stage and would love to see the play this week in NYC. See you there soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby. Hoosiers and Goonies are both great. Years ago I realized that I hadn't seen very many Broadway shows or taken my girls to any. Since then we've been on a tear. Lion King. Aladdin. Wicked. Hamilton (with the original cast), Cat on A hot tin roof, Chicago, Color Purple, Ain't Too Proud. The Lion King show was amazing because we were able to stay after the play and meet the cast. Incredible.

      Delete
  6. Great list. Love movies - but you need at least one Hugh Jackman movie. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jolene! Ooops. How did I leave Hugh off this list? Hmm let me think. I did see The Greatest Showman and he was really good in that!

      Delete
  7. I love Ice Castles, too. I used the music in my wedding. I really want to see Aladdin. I haven’t seen it but I’ve heard it’s really good. I’m huge Will Smith fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri. I love the music from Ice Castles. And don't get me started on Robby Benson. He was also the voice of the Beast. ICONIC.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive