Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Preparing for Change


Terri Reed here, My daughter is going away for the summer to be a camp counselor. "Just preparing you for college, Mom," she says to me. Like I really wanted to hear that!
But change is inevitable. Some change is good. Like the change in weather. Or the change of a hairstyle.
Some change is hard to cope with. Like children leaving the nest.
Okay so I'm not quite there yet, but its coming. Fast. Two more years of high school and then off she goes. I'll still have my son at home, thankfully. But I will miss my daughter. She wants to go to art school in London. Yikes!
How do you prepare for your child to leave home? Any tips and suggestions? I've got two years to prepare myself. But that leaving looms like a dark cloud on the horizon.

7 comments:

  1. Terri, I'll tell you what hit me harder is when the younger child left. But what filled up the days was the writing and writing friends. The way to look at it, you've done the job of preparing for them for the world.

    I didn't worry about them when they were at school, but when they came home vacations, I couldn't go to sleep until they were at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a difficult time when my daughter left home. It was an extremely difficult time for me, however, once I realized that all three of my children were gone, I then found new things to keep me busy, like my new home, my job and even my writing. It's hard to believe she has been gone for 6 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leann, Yeah, I don't even want to think about when the little one leaves. That's only five years away.
    I sure hope she's prepared. I pray she is. I know she'll be in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, thanks for commenting. Having three leave... hopefully spread out and not all at once. And I agree writing is a great way to keep busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a camp counselor one summer. Hardest work I've ever done. When I came home, I slept for five days.

    As for how to prepare for children leaving, I don't even want to think about it. I'm having a hard enough time thinking about my little guy going to kindergarten come August.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother always said that teenagers drive you nuts so you can bear to let them go. I really didn't feel a big upset when my kids went off to college. Does that make me a bad mom?
    And then I moved away from my kids! They were both in college when my dh and I moved to another state. My daughter said--"Wasn't I supposed to leave you?"

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive