Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Films Celebrate the Human Spirit



I’m a huge movie buff. Talk for me for five minutes and you’d pretty much figure that out. With all the awards shows cramming our TV schedules, I thought I’d share an observation that really makes me smile.


As I looked at the list of movies up for awards this year, it struck me how most of the movies are celebratory in nature. They celebrate the human spirit.


For instance, in The Help, The Artist, The Descendants, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, and Moneyball, the protagonists are struggling with a major conflict regarding personal survival. They’re headed into a battle and hope to come out the other side as better people. They do. And we get to join them on this journey, feel their pain, their passion, their loss, and their victory.


I especially loved The Artist. I know, I know, you’re thinking, “You didn’t pick Midnight in Paris as your number one? A writer gets to go back in time and meet his novelist heroes!” Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed Midnight in Paris very much. But The Artist demanded I participate in the movie-going experience in a different, and deeper way.


At first the lack of sound freaked me out. I’m sitting there thinking, “My kid (23) is going to hate it! My husband is fidgeting. Why is that lady’s popcorn bag so loud?” Then something amazing happened: I fell headlong into story in a way I never have before. I was captivated. It was a lovely, entertaining story, without sex or violence. How refreshing!


I think that’s one of the reasons the Love Inspired line is so popular. I enjoy a bit of mystery and suspense with my reading, so I’m really excited about upcoming titles: Dangerous Imposter by Virginia Smith, Protecting the Princess by Rachelle McCalla, The Rookie’s Assignment by Valerie Hansen, and Shattered Identity by Sandra Robbins.


Between making a dent in my TBR pile, and writing my own books, I’ll keep busy until Oscar night, Sunday, February 26th. What are you reading these days? And which film do you think will win the coveted Best Picture honor?



Peace,


Hope White


www.hopewhiteauthor.com



6 comments:

  1. Oh the oscars are on my birthday not that I will be watching. Not the huge movie but but seeing that Ginny Smith has another book coming out does excite me. I finished A Deadly Game by her today. I have to say I do love the books. I now read way more than watch tv and think sometimes the book would make a great movie but then wonder would I watch them? If all the books were movies when would I read.
    Ok Im rambling but that was my thought today when watching part of a Janette Oke movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get to go to movies much (outside the kiddie ones). I've only seen The Help. I like your recommendation about The Artist, though.

    As for reading, I can't tell you LOL.

    Because, I'm reading the RITA books. Two down, five to go. No inspies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ausjenny --
    Thanks for the Ginny Smith book recommendation. I'll have to give her a try!
    Pamela --
    Good luck on RITA books. Too bad you didn't get any Inspy's. ;-( When are they due again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope The Help wins for best picture. That was such a powerful story. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the nominees. I have only seen a few of these, but your description makes me want to see The Artist.
    Thanks, Hope!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loving going to movies, but I haven't watched the Oscars in years. I haven't seen all the movies that are nominated, but I really liked Moneyball and The Help. I'm reading RITA books, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea whether it will win, but we took our grandson to see Hugo for his birthday and really enjoyed it. My first 3-D movie. As for reading, I'm about half-way through Gone to Green by Judy Christie.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive