Monday, August 4, 2014

Recapping--Readjusting

Lacy Williams here. I've been back from the RWA conference for a week, and things have been hectic since then!

image copyright Kolobsek @ sxc.hu
I am not a good traveler. I get homesick after about two days away. And now that I have small children, I'm even worse. I worry that hubby will get overwhelmed, that babysitting plans will fall through, that they won't eat their breakfast or they'll get sick.

And you know what? They were completely fine. They love having "daddy time" because they get to eat on the living room couch and stay up late. And spend the night at grandma's house.

Which means I have no excuse... I'll be attending the ACFW conference later this fall and also Novelists Inc in October. I guess I'm going to have to beef up on my traveling skills. Find a cure for homesickness...

My latest release, THE WRANGLER'S INCONVENIENT WIFE, has the hero and heroine on a cattle drive. Talk about uncomfortable travel! The dust, dealing with recalcitrant animals all day and rough-and-tumble cowboys... not to mention cooking over an open fire.

I'd love to know what challenges you face in your travels. Leave a comment!


About my latest release:

MARRIAGE OF INCONVENIENCE

With no family to watch over them, it's up to Fran Morris to take care of her younger sister, even if it means marrying a total stranger. Gruff, strong and silent, her new husband is a cowboy down to the bone. He wed Fran to protect her, not to love her, but her heart has never felt so vulnerable.

Trail boss Edgar White already has all the responsibility he needs at his family's ranch in Bear Creek, Wyoming. He had intended to remain a bachelor forever, but he can't leave Fran and her sister in danger. And as they work on the trail together, Edgar starts to soften toward his unwanted wife. He already gave Fran his name…can he trust her with his heart?

THE WRANGLER'S INCONVENIENT WIFE is available now!











8 comments:

  1. Lacy, I love the colorful luggage. The part I hate about traveling is getting ready. I don't like to pack and always think I'm forgetting something, which I usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacy, I'm glad you were able to attend Nationals and that you had a good time, despite your homesickness.

    The hardest part of travel for me is preparing to leave home. I want everything in order before I do and drive myself nuts working toward that impossible goal. Once I reach our destination, I relax and enjoy myself, but I look forward to returning home to the place I love best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lacy -- I don't have a hard time with the traveling part, but I try to pack in too many activities once I get where I'm going. At conferences, I have trouble finding often-needed down time. That said, I'll see you at the NINC conference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, eat on the couch is an understatement. I got home to a trail of cereal on the floor, peanuts on the coffee tables, and a poptart between the cushions of the couch. My husband didn't notice.

    Hmmmm

    It was awesome, awesome, meeting you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lacy, I love to travel, but getting ready is always difficult. Not the packing, but making sure there are clean clothes, food in the pantry and whatever else I surmise that my men might need while I'm gone.

    Unfortunately, leaving doesn't necessarily get easier when they are self sufficient. However, the guilt does go away. I devote myself to their needs and whims when I'm home, so I deserve a break every now and then to focus on me, my whims and my needs.

    Don't let the guilt and worry take over when you're away. Instead, remind yourself that you're recharging your battery. God has called you to write and that well needs to be filled. And like you said, the kids like to eat on the couch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travel always has its challenges. I can't tell you how many times I've turned around a block from home because I "thought" I left the curling iron or stove on. Now, I have that checklist of must-do items and make sure of each one. The guilt of leaving usually goes away once I'm involved in conference. You're so right that they're perfectly fine without me. Barely missed me, in fact.

    All that said, the hardest thing about travel for me is catching up on everything when I return. The mail, the house, the laundry, the stuff that I was going to do during downtime at conference and totally blew off. It all adds up to one big pile of work when I get back.

    Congrats on the new book! It sounds like a lot of fun, especially since I'm not on that cattle drive with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lacy, I'm so glad all was well in your absence. I have the opposite history.

    When I went to RWA in New Orleans, I got a call that my husband was in the ER with our daughter who slit her foot open and needed stitches.

    Fast forward to last year and I got a call in Atlanta that same daughter was back in the ER because she'd gotten knocked over by the dog and had a bad cut over her eye. More stitches.

    In between, I got called from RWA in NYC because one of my daughters was running a high fever.

    Needless to say, even though all are grown now, I was worried headed out to San Antonio. Fortunately all was well while I was gone - or so they tell me.

    So glad that you'll be able to attend ACFW and Ninc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lacy, it was great to see you at RWA.

    You know, I don't get as homesick now that the kids are nearly grown. But I used to. I used to call every night and fret over all the little details. It does get better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive