Sunday, March 22, 2009

Friendships that turn

We've had a good month talking about frienship and so I'm going to bring up the not-so-good part of things -- they way friendships sometimes turn sour. I have had that happen with one or two friendships in my life (more so in my younger years, but I don't know if that's usual). I remember one woman who was my friend
for years -- until I sold my first book. Then she just couldn't continue to be my friend. She had worked for years (much longer and harder than I had) on getting published and when I got a contract before her, she didn't want to talk to me, see me, or anything. I decided to back off thinking maybe she just needed more space. But she never was able to be around me after that. I had thought my success would encourage her, but it seemed to be the opposite. How about you? Have you ever come to an roadblock in a friendship that you just couldn't get past?

5 comments:

  1. It's so sad to lose a friend. I wish your friend could have rejoiced with you, Janet. I lost a special friend whom I enjoyed discipling after she was saved. Her husband beat her one night and she ended up in the hospital. She turned away from everyone in shame. I tried in so many ways to reach her but it wasn't to be. It broke my heart. I still pray for her even though it's been many years and we live thousands of miles apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mez -- That is heartbreaking too, isn't it? There are so many things that can keep friends apart. Sometimes praying is all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mez, that's so sad. I sure hope she was able to get out of that situation. Maybe something you did or said ended up encouraging her to be strong.

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Janet:

    Friendships often exist because of a commonality of interests. When that commonality is shattered friendships can drift apart as an individual’s interests realign. This sometimes happens when one friend is promoted to a higher rank, as when one solider is promoted to NCO. It also happens when one is widowed or when one marries and has children and the other remains a single career person. I don’t view this as a friend ‘turning’ on the other; I see it as a natural process of ‘drift’.

    Your success may have highlighted your friend’s failures. She could be truly happy for you but being with you could be a source of unhappiness or even pain for her. This is indeed her problem as it goes to her emotional maturity but then none of us are perfect. I think this is why it is so very difficult to make a true lifetime friend and why a true friend is such a treasure.


    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vince -- Thanks for your words -- I do like the word drift better than turn. You are right -- a lifelong friend is a treasure.

    Missy -- it was sad, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive