Monday, March 2, 2009

Swinging along with my friends


Janet Tronstad here.
I don’t know about you, but I loved to swing high as a girl. I grew up on a farm in rural Montana with few neighbors and one of the exciting things about finally being able to go to school was having the swings. The other great discovery was friends.
Now, in my young age, I had a brother and a sister so I knew about siblings. And I had some delightful cousins. But, until school, I was not in regular contact with other non-related young girls to make any friends.
So it was only fitting that I was sitting on a swing next to Nancy Baker when I had one of those moments that I’ll remember all my life – I was quite awestruck to realize I had a friend. Not just someone to play with (although we did that). Or talk to. But someone who had crossed some line and became a friend. I don’t know what I thought a friend was in my young mind, but I do know it was something like ‘this is a person you can count on.’ Nancy and I stayed friends all through school (first grade to our senior year in high school) and she truly was someone I could always count on.

In the years since then, I have been blessed with an abundance of friends but I will always cherish those young years of friendship. I’m wondering if you’d like to share something you remember about your first friends? Do you remember what you thought friends were back in the early years?

11 comments:

  1. What a great story! Is your childhood friend still living? And if so, do you still keep in contact?

    I did have many friends growing up. I was (still am!) painfully shy and extremely introverted.

    AND I was (and still am!) such a tomboy that when I did have friends, most of them were boys!

    My sister and my cousins and a good friend Nannette were really the only girls I spent much time with. There was also a friend named Dolly but when we moved from New Mexico we didn't stay in contact.

    Nannette contacted me several years ago though, which was neat.

    And I found Dolly on Classmates.com and sent her an email. I hope to hear back.

    The social network sites are SO great for finding old friends and even family..

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOSH! That was supposed to read that I did NOT have many friends growing up.

    But God has since made up for it. LOL! There have been times I've felt totally alone and times I've had an abundance of friends. But in both of those feast of famine of friends seasons I've tried to have God give me a heart to sense who around me needs a friend.

    Every time I get a best friend...they move away! LOL! That makes me so sad. But I am glad for email. I'm terrible at making phone calls.

    Hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,
    What a great story. I, too, grew up in a rural area with only siblings to play with. Four brothers in my case. That first year of school was a wonder to behold. I loved it. I had friends. Girlfriend!
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not have lasting friends as I was growing up partly (or maybe mainly) because we moved a lot and I was extremely shy. I did have two brothers who I considered (and still do) friends and we did a lot of things together. I guess my real lasting friendship came my senior year in college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, Pat, and Ellen Too -- thanks for sharing bits and pieces of your stories, too. Cheryl, I can see you as a tomboy (sounds like fun). And Pat, your story sounds like mine. Ellen Too, I think moving alot is probably the worst thing for making friends when we're kids. I'm glad you had your brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blog! Keep up the good work.

    I too am a fiction writer and member of ACFW. My recently released novel, Journey to Judah, is the story of a single gal who follows her heart to India as a career missionary and finds love waiting for her there. But she isn't so sure she's ready to open her heart . . . especially to a man who seems to be struggling with his own issues.

    I am conducting a virtual book tour. Would you consider posting an interview on your blog?

    Thank you for your time and consideration. eileenrife@yahoo.com

    Eileen Rife

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have loved Facebook for catching up with old friends! I moved from my home for graduate school, then met my husband. So I've lived in GA every since. It's been great to find old friends online and to see photos of their families! I've loved it.

    I've also got some great friends here. Plus old college friends I try to keep in touch with. I'll be talking about one of my best friends on Thursday's post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl, I can't see you as shy! But then I met you online first. And I think it's easier to be outgoing online because we have time to think about every word we "say" (write). :)

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also meant to say great post, Janet! I love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was supposed to say EVER since. (I always have to correct my typos!) LOL

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Missy -- Thanks for posting. I have a hard time with keeping up with old friends, too.

    Eileen -- good to have you here. We're a group-run blog and we did talk about guest bloggers. I'll get your request to the powers that be. And do stop by again.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive