Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sacrificial friendship




I love stories of heroic friendship. You know the ones. A soldier throws himself on a grenade to save his comrades. A dog is wounded while facing down an armed assailant to protect his owner. A ten year old shaves his head because his best friend is going through chemo and lost his hair. Downs syndrome children in a race, rushing back to pick up a fallen comrade, and all of them crossing the finish line together. Stories like that really warm my heart and renew my faith in mankind.

Friendship doesn’t always mean sacrifice. But it means being willing to sacrifice if the need arises.

A Bible friendship like that comes to mind-David and Jonathon. They could easily have been enemies. In fact, life would have been easier for both if they had been. But they chose to honor their relationship no matter the cost. And sometimes the cost was significant. The coolest part of the story, to me, actually came many years after Jonathan’s death when David took Mephibosheth, Jonathan’s crippled son into his palace and cared for him all the days of his life, simply because of his love for a man who should have been his enemy.

Now that was a friendship.

5 comments:

  1. Jonathon and David's Biblical friendship has always inspired me. I hope I can be that good a friend to people.

    Great post!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda -- I love your photo! Those kind of dramatic friendships do inspire us to do better, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies, thanks for the comments.
    Cheryl, Jonathon and David inspire me too. I don't think I've ever had a friendship even half that special but I'd sure like to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, Linda. Those stories always bring tears to my eyes, too. I think one reason is because we love to see the best of human behavior. It inspires us and gives us hope.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive