Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Friend Is...

To me, a friend is many things.

A friend is someone who tells you when you have ink on your face or whip cream on your nose. A friend is someone who helps you justify how red polka dot shoes could be practical and worth the cash. A friend is someone who calls just to say hi or calls because they felt God telling them to. A friend is someone who can finish your sentences, knows what drink you order at Starbucks, and understands that the concept of sharing cheesecake means ordering two different flavors and splitting both. A friend is someone who knows your secrets and see the inner places of your heart and loves you anyway.

But above all, a friend is there. Just...there.

I am blessed to have 3 best friends. One local, the other two living many states away. Yet because we share so much in common and love each other so dearly, the miles don't matter. Distance doesn't have an effect on the concept of "there" - a fact which my two far-away besties have proved a thousand times over.

In no particular order, let me introduce to you Best Friend #1 - Lori Chally. My true sisterchick! (Robin Jones Gunn fans will know the meaning of this term!) A fellow writer and lover of shoes, purses and all things vintage. My Lori is so unique, and her writing is amazing. I can't wait for her to be published - its going to be HUGE. =)

Lori and I share a lot of things, and last year, we even shared pregnancy. Yep, we were both pregnant at the same time, I was about 3 months ahead of her. In my 8th month, Lori flew down from Kansas to spend a long weekend with me. Talk about fun times! Here's a pic. (we might not look very pregnant here but its because we had such great dresses. lol)






We antique shopped, had a strawberry pie/Grease marathon night, ate crawfish, and got foot massages. It was such a perfect weekend! And Lori was amazing to make the trip, while preggo and uncomfy herself, to be there for me.


Best Friend #2 is Katie Smiley. Katie is my local bestie and a beautiful redhead. Her husband says the redheaded-temper concept is very true, but I've never seen it. Katie is a fantastic friend, someone who has been there for me for years, and is wonderful at encouragement and commiseration. Guess what? She got pregnant about 5 months into my pregnancy. Talk about great minds! =)

Here's a preggo pic of the two of us - me very far along, her not very at all. (wow, I gotta quit posting pics of me being fat!!! lol)



Katie isn't a writer, but she is an avid reader and a huge fan of....me! What a friend. =)
And last but oh so NOT least is Best Friend #3 - Georgiana Daniels. Another far-away bestie, this gal pal lives in Arizona and is such an amazing woman. Stay at home mom of 3 (including 2 tots!) and a fellow writer. How does she do it? Georgiana is one of my best critique buds and a wonderful listener. I can never get through a day without her uplifting emails.


Georgiana (doesn't she look great in red!) is a fellow ACFW member with me and Lori, and is well on her way to publication. She is also my fellow Type A - we thrive on routine! Georgiana is always good for a laugh, an email hug, or a prayer request. I don't know what I'd do without her! (and surprisingly no, we were not ever pregnant at the same time. haha)


Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls for he has no one to help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9

And I have three!!! =)


What I especially love is that all of my "besties" were brought to me in a very special way. Lori and I met at an ACFW writers conference, Georgiana and I met through the ACFW chat forums, and Katie and I found each other again through the publication of my first novel with The Wild Rose Press - Midnight Angel. She heard of my book, bought it, read it, saw my email on the "contact author" page, and wrote me to tell me how much she enjoyed it. Only God could have concocted these divine meetings! =)



Take a moment to thank God today for the friendships in your life. (and be careful if one of your besties turns up pregnant! haha)

9 comments:

  1. Aww, that's so sweet!!! I agree, God made it happen in such a special way and miles (and age, LOL) don't matter. God must love me to bless me with you for a friend!!!

    Now I'm hungry for cheesecake....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are blessed, Betsy, mostly because Georgiana is one of my 'far away besties' too and I know how fabulous she is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. They say if you have a friend, you are blessed. If you have more than one friend, you are more than blessed.

    LOL, my best friends kids were in high school when I got pregnant with my son, so no together and pregnant photos for us.

    By the way, Georgiana, when are you going to come to a CWOW meeting in Arizona! We have a blast, our numbers are up to 20, and we'd love to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, you are totally making me want to hop a plane/ train/crop duster/whatever and come down for some more sisterchick time! Thanks for soldiering on with me in the pursuit of good shoes, for laughing when I don't know how to use my cell phone, and for all the caring and praying that goes along with being sisters. Georgiana is SO right- about God blessing us... and about the cheesecake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't go wrong with writer friends and cheesecake -- or shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post. Aren't friends wonderful to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great description of friendship, Betsy! Brought tears to my eyes.

    Thanks for sharing your frends with us. (And hi, Georgiana!) :)

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friends are so precious. My Sister-in-law Laura and I got to know each other painting a ceiling and we've enjoyed many highs and lows together since that crazy remodeling project. We also were pregnant at the same time and delivered a month apart. Memories! We are now thousands of miles apart but that special friendship is a forever one.
    Mary

    worthy2bpraised{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive