Thursday, December 13, 2012

Flash Fiction--Christmas Eve at the USO


Rose wasn’t sure why she’d bother to come.

The USO hall was packed with holiday merriment. Clusters of mistletoe hung around the dance floor, attracting the attention of the boys in uniform or their sweethearts. But it didn’t matter, at least, not to Rose. 

Joe wasn’t there.

She should have realized what the handsome private meant to her before he’d shipped out. But she’d been too scared, of lonliness, becoming a war widow. But sending Joe away hadn’t stopped her from loving him.

Rose glanced across the crowd, her mouth suddenly dry. Joe marched toward her, his lips curving into a hesitant smile as he stopped in front of her.

Joe swallowed. “I know you said you didn’t want to see me again, but. . .”

“I was wrong.”

“You were?”

“Oh, yes.” Rose closed the distance between them, cupping his rugged face in her hands and drawing him close. “About everything.”    

6 comments:

  1. It's amazing how visual a simple paragraph can be. I want more, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I can just see him leaning her over for a kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thank you ladies! I was kind of worry because I've never done flash fiction before--but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this. It's amazing how emotive and descriptive you were in such a short space. Can't wait for more flash fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very short and very sweet! Nice job, Patty! Like Linda said, it's amazing the emotion you can pack into a few paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive