Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Cowboys

Lacy Williams here - What is it about cowboys that we can't get enough of?

“A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by.” –John Wayne

For me as a writer, part of it is the idea that these men (and some women!) battled the elements, tangled with ornery animals, and sometimes fought against wild animals. They must've been some of the hardest workers, fighting against those conditions for a little profit at the end of the season!

“Look at all the stars. You look up and you think, "God made all this and He remembered to make a little speck like me." It's kind of flattering, really.” –Tombstone

I grew up on my grandpa's farm and he often went birdwatching with me. Watching those little winged creatures amazed me. God created them, made them be able to defy gravity, provides food for them even in the winter... it's kind of amazing, really.

For the cowboys I write, seeing God's handiwork is also something that deepens their lives.

“First getting shot, then getting married. Bad habits.” – The Long Riders

And then, of course, my cowboys have to have someone who w
ill side with them against nature, against wild creatures and fight for love. She won't always understand him, but his loyalty, integrity and grit will win her over.

What about you? Do you love cowboys and cowboy books?

Here's a blurb on my latest Love Inspired Historical, Return of the Cowboy Doctor:

Two years shy of his medical degree, cowboy Maxwell White is out of money. So, he's back in Bear Creek, Wyoming, working part-time for the local physician. Though he is immediately drawn to the doctor's lovely, whip-smart daughter, she seems to be irritated by Maxwell's very existence. 
Hattie Powell can't quash her feelings for the town's new would-be doctor. But that's exactly why she must keep him at a distance. Hattie is closer than ever to fulfilling her lifelong wish of becoming a doctor. Now, the only thing standing in her way is the man of her dreams. 

And I'm thrilled to announce that I'm part of a collection called FIRST KISSES, available now. It's on sale for only 99 cents, for a limited time.
Leave a comment about why you like cowboys today and be entered to win a paperback copy of RETURN OF THE COWBOY DOCTOR. 





16 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I'd love to win a copy.
    cathyann40@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get enough of cowboy stories! Historical, contemporary, I love them all. Reading my dad's Louis L'Amour books as a teen has definitely influenced my reading preferences! :) Thanks for the giveaway!

    colorvibrant at gmail dot com
    http://heidi-reads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cowboy stories....guess I have watched so many western movies with dh..lol.
    Would love to win a copy of your book!
    jacsmi75 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those cowboy stories , Lacy! Know this one is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up watching stories about the Old West on TV and in the movies on SAT afternoons! Your book looks wonderful.

    So does First Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by, everyone. Anyone have a favorite cowboy movie?

    Heidi, my dad read us Louis L'Amour books as bedtime stories when me and my sibs were small (he edited out some stuff, I learned later!). I think it definitely influenced me and my writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love the idea of the one you want most being the one in the way of fulfilling a dream. Your book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post, Lacy! Really enjoyed those quotes.
    I think most of the cowboys I've read about have not only been rugged (and some quite handsome too, LOL) but what appeals to me the most is their sincere attitude and spirit---nothing pretentious at all about them (at least, most of them!).
    Thanks for sharing this. Blessings from Georgia, Patti Jo

    p.s. Both your new books sound wonderful--Congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's not to love about a cowboy? I;m like Debbie. I grew up watching the old westerns--only they weren't old back then. Most cowboys were honorable and treated women and children well. Sigh. I jost love a good cowboy story--and The Return of the Cowboy Doctor is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cowboy stories can be a lot of fun. Love those rugged, gutsy guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, cowboys! I've written a couple books with them and those are by far my favorites. There's something so manly about them. Plus the horses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post, Lacy! I love cowboys too--that's why I write them :) I'm so excited to be doing the First Kisses novella collection with you too pardner~
    If anyone hasn't bought our new First Kisses Collection check it out only .99cents right now and # 1 Bestseller in Inspirational Fiction on Amazon right now. http://amzn.to/1orhmB7

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new book sounds fun. Love that rugged integrity of the cowboy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know I am not sure what I cant get enough of. I love westerns but the books I read (besides Mary Connealy who always has shooting in her books) most are not that sort of book. I think I like them in historical times when there was the battle with the elements and with rustlers etc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading cowboy books. I have loved reading your first kisses story and return of cowboy doctor. I love your historical cowboy stories and debra cloptons charming and contemporary cowboys stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for the great comments and discussion. Jenny, I love Mary's cowboy books, too! And Debra's contemp cowboy books. I actually have some ideas for a YA bull rider book but we'll see if God gives me time to write it!! I'll post the winner tomorrow morning in comments - now back to the manuscript!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive