Friday, August 9, 2019

Shipshewana Visit by Vannetta Chapman

Happy Friday!

Today I thought I'd share some pictures with you from my recent visit to Shipshewana, Indiana. Shipshewana is one of the largest and most affluent Amish communities. I've been there many times and all of my Love Inspired books are set in that area.







A few things I noticed this time that I hadn't seen before include:

  • solar panels on the barn
  • open buggies
  • a buggy race (on a county road--that was a hoot)
  • dinner in an Amish home where that part of the house had been built or modified specifically to hold dinners for Englischers
  • Amish families attending an antique tractor show
But most things in Amish country remain the same:
  • large families enjoying ice cream at Howe's on a Friday night
  • an Amish home to buy a quilt (the Amish woman had over 100 quilts that she and her friends had completed)
  • schools and phone booths and so many beautiful gardens
  • Amish working side-by-side with the Englisch in restaurants, quilt shops, etc.
  • Visited a cheese store and yes I brought some home.
It's always fun to visit an area that you write or read about and compare the reality to the fiction. Have you been to Amish country? I'd love to know what you saw that left a lasting impression on you. My book The Amish Christmas Matchmaker releases next month, and we'll once again be visiting northern Indiana. I hope it's a story that touches your heart.

Blessings,
Vannetta

12 comments:

  1. So interesting, Vannetta--love the pictures! From your descriptions, it sounds like this Amish community has incorporated a few more modern conveniences. What are they using the solar panels to power?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myra. I'm really not sure what they're using the power for, but mostly we saw the panels on barns. In the homes they were still using gas lanterns and the old fashioned hand cranked washing machines.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have a good visit. I love research trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! And you're right--research trips are awesome.

      Delete
  3. What a cool research trip, Vannetta. The pictures are amazing. It looks like you received a very warm welcome. I'm so curious about the Amish quilts. They are so beautiful from what I've previously seen. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belle. I have always found the Amish to be very warm and inviting. The quilts are seriously amazing.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed your pictures, Vannetta, looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. It was a fun time, and the temperatures were so much cooler than Texas.

      Delete
  5. Great photos, Vannetta. I hope to get up there one day. Ice cream is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenora, you are right. Ice cream is ALWAYS a good idea. What kind of researcher would I be if I didn't try some? lol

      Delete
  6. Lovely pics, Vannetta! I'm enthralled by the buggies and always enjoy the clip-clop of the horses' hooves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the clip-clop...it must be one of the most relaxing sounds I know.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive