Thursday, August 22, 2019

Heroes

Major Richard "Dick" Winters, Easy Company, 101st Airborne Division


I've always been interested in World War Two. I had three uncles who as members of this "greatest generation" island-hopped and fought their way to victory in the Pacific. And I hold these American heroes with the highest regard. Although, my uncles would have been quick to say that the real heroes were their friends who made the ultimate sacrifice and never made it home.

One of my previous Love Inspired novels in the Eastern Shore of Virginia series,  The Bachelor's Unexpected Family, had a poignant World War Two connection.

Earlier this summer, my family and I traveled to Normandy. June 6, 2019 marks the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings that culminated in the eventual capitulation of the Third Reich.


Utah Beach


Standing on the beach listening to the pounding waves upon the sand and the sound of seabirds cawing overhead, I reflected on that pivotal day seventy-five years ago. At the top of the dunes, derelict German bunkers and gun placements still overlook this now peaceful strand that was once the scene of near unimaginable carnage.

We visited many of the sites featured in Steven Spielberg's iconic Band of Brothers mini-series, including the church at Sainte-Mère-Église, the first town liberated by Allied forces from Nazi occupation.




But it was at the American Cemetery, with all of those white crosses and Stars of David, that the terrible price of war truly hit me. Most of the young men who died on Omaha and Utah beaches were between the ages of 18 and 23—the same as my two daughters. If my daughters had been alive in 1944, potentially these brave young men would have been classmates and friends. It was a sobering realization for them when I pointed how how young these heroes were who'd died to preserve our freedom. 

Beyond the sea of white crosses lies the brilliant blue of the English Channel. And I was struck by the peaceful, serene beauty of the setting. There is something of the sacred here. It is hallowed ground.


I am thankful today for all those who have served and continue to serve our country. These men and women are my heroes, including law enforcement, firefighters and first responders, too. Their example of self-sacrifice inspire me to daily choose to love others better than myself. And to leave my little corner of the world a better place because God planted me here.


Who are your heroes? Do you have a friend or family member currently in service that you would like to give a shout out to? And as for fictional heroes, what kind of hero do you most like to read about?

Hope you are enjoying these last days of summer.
Happy reading,
Lisa

As a Southern romance writer, Lisa has definite opinions on serious issues like barbecue, ACC basketball and the whole Pepsi vs. Coke controversy. When she isn't writing, Lisa enjoys traveling to romantic locales and researching her next romantic adventure. www.lisacarterauthor.com

Join her mailing list for info on book happenings at Newsletter. Follow her on  BookBub to receive notices about new releases. 
  
 
Welcome to Truelove, North Carolina—Where True Love Awaits. This fun, new romantic series is set in the breathtakingly lovely Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.



Though the course of true love doesn’t always run smooth, never fear. The Truelove Matchmakers are there to make sure everyone finds their true happily-ever-after.
A mutually beneficial temporary arrangement…
But can they keep it strictly professional?


Nursing student Amber Fleming couldn’t be more stunned when ex-marine Ethan Green makes an offer: he’ll babysit her twin girls if she cares for his injured grandmother. Amber knows it’s temporary. Ethan isn’t one for roots—or their hometown. But his steadfast caring has her wanting more than friendship. And with help from Amber’s mischievous twins, can they risk becoming a forever family? 

Pre-order here.

5 comments:

  1. Good morning, Lisa. Thank you for sharing this. I did a blog post here on D-Day back on June 6th, but yours is much more powerful because of the personal experience. I've always been fascinated by the Revolutionary War era, and the men who were brave enough to strike out and create a new country, but last year I saw a play called All is Calm about the Christmas Truce of 1914. That spurred a lot of research and so much respect for the men who braved their fears and celebrated the peace of Christmas.

    I know that play tours the country, so if anyone ever has a chance to see it, I highly recommend taking the opportunity.

    I also had uncles fighting in the Pacific. Imagine, they might have known each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been so cool for our uncles as young men to have crossed paths. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I come from a military family...my father, my husband, my son. They, along with all the men and women in uniform, are my heroes! God bless them all.

    During the Normandy anniversary this year, I was glued to the TV, soaking in the poignant reality of what happened there. The number of valiant men who lost their lives is staggering. Truly our World War II heroes were and continue to be the Greatest Generation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. As a military kid, wife and mother—thank you for your service on the home front that allowed them to do what they do/did in serving our country.

      Delete
  3. I am the daughter of a Marine who says it's his Marine brothers who didn't make it home from Beirut and others who didn't make it back who are the true heroes. But to me my dad is also my hero. I am also the granddaughter of a Navy Sailor who was in Korea. The great niece of a Marine who volunteered for Vietnam. I also had a great great uncle who did his part in WWII to liberate Europe. As well as the cousin of Airman and an Army Ranger. I guess you could say were are a family that always answers the call.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive