Tuesday, August 6, 2019

PADDLING HARD!

PADDLING HARD! by Valerie Hansen

 
Have you ever felt as if you are heading down a raging river, paddling as hard as you can and losing ground anyway? I thought so. Me, too. Part of this feeling may come from my current efforts to rescue my poor, kidnapped heroine from her captors before they throw her in the raft to use as a hostage. I'm not sure. :) I do know that the mind of a writer - at least this writer - can be a scary thing.
 
As my husband used to say, I am a danger when I'm between books. Left at loose ends I tend to search for purpose, such as adopting a stray dog or trying something new because I think I can do it. (so far, so good) I must remember, however, to remember the lunch I have put under the broiler in the oven. Otherwise... this was a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich.


It actually tasted better than it looks. Besides, charcoal is good for you.
For years we heated our little house with wood, as in chop and split logs, then build a fire in a heating stove. Not fun for me. That's why I finally decided to ask my son to take it out for me. After he did, I was left with a big hole in the wall and terrible carpet beneath, but the hated old stove was gone.
 
It wasn't a problem on my daily work schedule because I was waiting for the okay on ideas I had sent to NY. But the room looked awful, so I set to work.
The first thing I did was plug the end of the pipe with metal, then fill in the hole in the wall and spackle it flat. I also had to strip off existing wallpaper, one inch at a time. No problem. Not busy, right? Wrong. Halfway through I got a note from one of my editors and needed to get to work. But the living room was a mess. So, I did both. Back hurt, arms hurt, hands hurt. Plus,  I had never hung a paper by myself. (it's a lot harder!) But, never fear. I can do this.
This is the first of the paper and I painted it afterward. That was the first wall. Three more and I'll be done. In the meantime, I ordered a new floor installed so I have 2 weeks to finish the walls or I'll have to worry about dripping paint as I work. I am the world's messiest painter. I always try to work with my shoes off so I'll feel if I step in a drop or two. There was no question this time. I stepped on the wet brush I'd laid aside! No, I am not making this up. This is my life.

SO, WHAT ABOUT THE BOOK/BOOKS? The first of two is almost finished and due Sept. 1st. The second is started and moving right along. Plus, I just got this graphic from the publisher. It's for my August book, MARKED FOR REVENGE.

HOW TIME FLIES WHEN YOU'RE HAVING FUN. And I truly mean that. God has blessed me greatly and I am very thankful.
 
 
 




8 comments:

  1. Congrats, Valerie. Sixty books is such an achievement. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Valerie on 60 books. That is remarkable. And with regards to your burnt lunch...I have been known to leave eggs boiling to the point of eruption. LOL. Good luck on your various projects. A busy writer is way better than one with time on her hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! 60th book. Amazing! Good for you. I love that you're a messy painter. Me too. And a messy cook. I prefer to buy premade from the store. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. 60 books! That's a real cool achievement. Keep'em coming for all of us who love to read your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sixty books--AMAZING! Congratulations, Valerie! (And nice job on the wall!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Val!!! Sixty books! Oh my goodness, you've been writing up a storm! Amazing.

    Love your wall paper story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know whether I'm more in awe of the 60 books or your construction/painting project. Congratulations on achieving both.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive