Thursday, April 2, 2009

The lilac bush.



Spring, renewal, rebirth, what great topics we have for this month. Don’t you just love Spring? Daffodils are my favorite spring flower. When I see their sun bright faces nodding in the wind I know spring is really coming even if it snows a time or two before Old Man Winter gives up the ghost. I do love daffodils, but nothing takes me back to my childhood like the smell of lilacs.

Oh, that deliciously sweet fragrance. When the lilacs are out, spring is well underway.

When I was a kid, (a year or two ago) we had this great big lilac bush in our backyard. Big enough for me and my brothers to hide inside, to make pretend forts and to plow winding roads for our toy cars in the soft dirt. Why was the dirt so soft under that lilac bush?

Maybe it was because our dog used to dig holes there to stay cool when the summers got hot. Maybe it really wasn’t any different than any other dirt on our farm. Maybe I only remember it that way because I was a child. No, it must have been soft. Children have a wonderful, uncluttered view of life without preconceived notions of how things should or should not be.
God asks the we see our faith with those same eyes.

Luke 18:17 (New International Version)
I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."
I hope and pray that when my time comes the Lord finds me worthy and I can enter the Kingdom of Heaven like the child I once was, like a little girl racing to play under the lilac bush.

Pat

5 comments:

  1. Pat,
    I love lilacs. They don't grow in Florida, so I miss them. When my hubby and I first got married, we had a lilac bush outside the back door of the house we rented. In my January book, which is set in South Dakota, I had my heroine smell the lilacs that were blooming alongside the hero's porch. I can smell them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrillee,
    I know just what you mean. They are an unforgettable scent.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite! my daughter takes me every year on Mother's Day to a special place we call the lilac forest. One year that is where she told us she was pregnant with our first grandchild. Hence the nane lilac grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post, Pat! I love lilacs, too, although we never had any bushes. I love that smell!

    Lilac Grandma, I've always wondered where you got that name! Such a sweet story!!

    Missy

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive