Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Musings on the matter of New Year’s resolutions

The presents are all unwrapped and put away (or returned to the store for a better fit), the leftovers are eaten, and all the relatives have headed home. Now my thoughts turn to the New Year and the resolutions I should make.

What is it about this season that makes us think of improving ourselves? I know I’m not the only one to feel that this is the perfect time to stop some bad habits and start some good habits. I guess January 1, or any given Monday in the year, is a great time for new beginnings. We say “This will be my year/week to: start my diet, be more disciplined at (fill in the blank here), be kinder to coworkers/children/spouse” or, in my case, my students. And did I mention … start my diet.

According to a news report I heard (can’t recall the particulars of when or where), dieting is the number one resolution people make every January 1. I did it last year and for the first time in my life kept going until my birthday in October. Then came Thanksgiving and Christmas. (Okay, let’s talk about holiday overeating. Is it a worse mistake/error/sin to overeat on these special days OR to refuse a second helping of old Aunt Sally’s special, delicious mincemeat pie that she made with arthritic hands and love in her heart? I generally opt for showing love back to Aunt Sally.) So it’s back to the old treadmill for me.

And since I did so well on last year’s resolution, I think I’ll add another couple of things to my list of self-improvements. I have a writing deadline, so being more disciplined in my writing habits is a must. Must stop playing spider solitaire and watching television talk shows. Must instead sit myself in the desk chair and write my book. One of my creative writing teachers used to say “Few people like to write. Many people like to have written.” I think he had something there. So I resolve to shut off the television and maybe even delete the spider solitaire program from my computer so I won’t be scrambling the week before my deadline.

But while these are both important resolutions, I think the one thing the Lord seems to be challenging me with these days is to be kinder to others: The Walmart checkout girl, the harried postal clerk, other drivers, that certain someone with whom I have a private grievance. I’m sure you have your own list.

And maybe, just maybe, in 2012, I can go beyond my birthday and Thanksgiving and Christmas … and have fewer regrets next year at this time.

What resolutions are you making this year? Please share with us and maybe add a word or two about successes of the past. Or ways you hope to improve.

Blessings to you all in 2012!
Louise M. Gouge

17 comments:

  1. I just make reading ones like reading 100 books a year and again trying to read a book from each US state (on my last one for this year now). I did manager to lose around 10 kg this year and am really happy. dont really make resolutions as I wont keep them. but my goal for the year is a job by the end of March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My resolution? To be more god-fearing and loving to God and fellow human beings.

    My goals? To publish at least a tilte each with LI, LIS and LIH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the reading, Ausjenny. I do try to read a lot of books. Have you read any books about Florida? That's where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Olufisayo Alabi. That's a wonderful resolution. I pray you and I will both be able to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun reading goal, Jenny! That's two books a week. You must be one busy reader. :)

    My resolutions? Lose weight. For real. I've gained 30 pounds since I married my husband, which might not be bad since if I'd married him 30 years ago, but since I only married him 7 years ago . . . Yikes!!!

    I've already started substituting Malto-meal and salads for two of my meals each day. Now if I can trim out the sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naomi, I wish you the best on your diet. My hardest part of losing is the exercise. But I found a way to conquer it. Now if I can just keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise,
    Your post so reminded me of me that I decided to go to your website and bond!
    I've been thinking about trying to make 2012 a no chocolate year. Really. I want to shed more than 30 pounds, too. That's not how much I've gained since getting married ten years ago (I gained more!)
    Ack.
    Jenny, I love reading goals. I just went to Barnes and Noble last night and bought a new inspy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olufisayo,
    When you sit down to write, which type of book do you enjoy writing most: LI LIS, or LIH?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if it counts as a resolution, but I always get a word for each year---a theme if you will. Last year was Restore (2010 was a traumatic year--could be why 2010's word was Hide) and the word God gave me for 2012 is Connect. But I do make an annual plan with goals that function like resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lyn, It's more than okay not to make resolutions. I didn't do it for many years, but for me the time just seemed right last year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pamela,
    Thanks for checking out my website. As you may have noticed, I haven't posted since September! That should be another resolution for me: Keeping up my website.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allie,
    I've shadowed your journey on other loops and have prayed for you. I love your idea of having a word for the year. How inspiring! I think I'll do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't make any resolutions. Too hard to keep but I do make goals. (I guess they are the same thing) My goals are to see two books this next year and maybe lose a few pounds. Pam, do not give up the chocolate!!!! Anything but chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lousie, yep on florida and I think I have a few ready for next year.
    this year one of Virginia Smiths books was there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Louise, Amen to that, for you and I.
    Pamela, I flow easily with LI. But I see it as a building block for others. I actually have materials for LIS (what with kidnappings and bombing here) and LIH (biblical.

    Or is it only one that one MUST write for?

    I am determined to work hard come 2012, may God help me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Allie, I covet your type of 'resolution'. I think I will have to go to God and ask for my own WORD for 2012. Meanwhile I am happy the word 'connect' has already started working for me. What with great and beautiful women that I have 'met' on this special blog!

    2012 is gonna be great!

    Mum, thanks for playing the Santa and giving me many wonderful sisters. To all intending sisters, you have a place in my heart. (Yes, I have a very BIG heart!)

    Love you all.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive