Sunday, December 11, 2011

Duty to Protect by Roxanne Rustand

Today we're welcoming Emma White, the heroine of DUTY TO PROTECT, by Roxanne Rustand, a December, 2011 Love Inspired Suspense. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.

1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

Honestly? my whole life has meant living on the edge. From when I was orphaned as a kid, to when I was adopted by an older couple. They were never warm and doting people, but they gave me security--until they landed in a witness protection program. From then on we all lived in fear that was sure justified--my adoptive mom was killed in a suspicious accident, and just recently, my dad was murdered in a grocery store parking lot. After that, I had to run for my life.

2. So, during the book you met Jake Kincaid. Tell us a bit about him/her. What was your first impression? I used to love watching old westerns on the TV. The idea of good conquering evil, the guys in the white hats prevailing, filled me with longing for justice and safety in my own life. I never thought I'd meet a cowboy hero of my own, but there he was--I was on the run, and he swooped in to save a little boy from being hit by a drunk driver who'd pulled in way too fast in a parking lot. With my pursuers closing in I had to find a way to escape, and I took a chance with Jake. I used to think that God had forgotten about me. But that night? I know it was more than mere chance that I ran into Jake Kincaid.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness? I think all of us have a strong will to live, but my background taught me a lot of about developing survival skills, and as tough as it was, it did make me strong and determined. My weakness? Definitely, a lack of trust.

4. What scares you? Anyone I don't know--because the drug cartel that wanted to wipe out my family was both wealthy and resourceful. They could hire anyone to come after me. Someone I didn't recognize could show up out of the blue.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I'm working on it. I would love to be able to lose that instinctive shiver of dread when I encounter someone new…or see a suspicious looking stranger across the street. My first response is to turn tail and run, but that is no longer necessary…I hope.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?

As I said before, I was sure God had forgotten about me. Losing my biological and adoptive parents was pretty devastating. How many people face those kinds of losses, along with the absence of any kind of stable home? I never had friends, either, because in a life on the wrong it's hard to get close to anyone. I thought I was all alone in the world.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?

I came to realize that God had been with me every step of my journey--keeping me safe,ultimately guiding me to the one man in this world who is so perfect for me. My faith is deepening every day now, and I feel like a different person.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.

When I first read this verse, it was as if God was speaking directly to me. I wish I'd had it to hold close to my heart since I was a child.

It is: "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Jesus Christ." Philippians 4: 6-7.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

I'm finally living out my dreams, now. With a secure and happy home, and people who love me. And what's more evocative of that than apple pie ala mode?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive