Friday, December 23, 2011

Ask Elnora--About Christmas stories? Lenora Worth

Hello and Merry, Merry Christmas. Only a couple of days away. Elnora loves when Christmas is on a Sunday. It's like a double blessing or a double scoop of the best ice cream in the world. Down here, that would be Blue Bell Pralines and Cream. Why is it that all I can think about is food? Right now, I'm letting my gingerbread cookie dough "set" so I can make some gingerbread cookies. I haven't done this in years and I almost didn't get to do it tonight. That's because I have one of those big powerful mixers. You know the kind that weighs more than a kitchen sink and whirls like a helicopter when you hit go. Well, I lifted mine up onto the counter but the cord got stuck under the base. So I held the mixer steady with one hand and tugged on the cord with the other. But I forgot to lock the top part down. It fell on my thumb! And pretty much crushed it. I screamed in pain but my husband was at work and my son upstairs playing loud music. Couldn't even get the cat to show me any sympathy. So I stood over the sink, dizzy, and watched as my thumb starting bleeding. Then I cried. Because it hurt like all get-out. Then my son came downstairs to get a refill of coffee and heard me whimpering and finally got me a bandage. He asked me what I was doing and I said, "Trying to make some cookies! And I am going to make those darn cookies, even with a throbbing left thumb." I did make them, but put in the wrong amount of molasses. After I finally figured that out, I added more and the dough looked like it might be turned into cookies. I have to wait two hours according to the recipe. I have several sizes of gingerbread cutters. Let's hope I don't cut a finger off trying to make those cookies. Right now, my thumb is still throbbing but luckily I don't need it that much to type. (Does it seems to you all that I have a lot of strange accidents? Falling in NY and cutting my head open?? Bad medicine in Orlando and swelling up twice my size? Back going out in Washington when I was--yes--trying to fasten my shoe?) I tell you, these cookies better be worth it! But that got me to thinking about Christmas stories. You know the kind that get passed down from generation to generation. I'm thinking we all have those kind of stories (like my favorite Christmas movie "Christmas Vacation!!!") I'm sure the "crushed thumb" story will go down in history. My favorite one is when Big Daddy and I had only been married a year or so and he bought me a new dining room set, table, chairs and a hutch. We lived in an apartment in Atlanta, GA. It was Christmas Eve and we had his cousin over visiting. (He lived in the same complex). Big D went outside and I waited and waited to see what was going on. Then it started raining. Hard. I heard a banging on the patio doors. It was my sweet husband and the whole dining room set. He'd planned to leave it on the patio and sneak it in later, but the rain changed all of that. The cousin and I helped him bring in my surprise. I still have that dining room set but I don't think it will go to Florida with us. One of our children will inherit it. So, let's talk funny Christmas stories. Do you have some of those?? Let's discuss. And Merry Christmas to all of you and God bless us everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Waooohhhh! Sorry about your throbbing thumb Mum. I hope it worths it too. i would have loved to have a taste of that sacrifice-laden-to-prepare cookies! (winks)

    and, a MERRY XMAS TO YOU MA.

    MERRY XMAS TO ALL WHO BLOG AND THOSE WHO READ BLOGS HERE. MAY THE CHRIST OF XMAS visit us all with GREAT Xmas gifts.

    Lots of love, from Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks wonderful women for yesterday's post. I just read and commented on it now. Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to everyone.

    I remember the first year we decided to stay home for Christmas instead of doing the traveling circuit. We wanted to start our own traditions. I labored into the wee hours creating a breakfast table and menu worthy of Southern Living.

    My kindergarten aged son woke up not excited at all. Double ear infections and the start of the flu.

    Fortunately we had a Jewish pediatrician in our practice who took all the calls that Christmas morning.

    Unfortunately, everyone was felled by the flu before we returned from the doctor's office.

    Since then, I have taken Christmas a bit less seriously and more "as it comes". A great lesson. And yes, the kids eventually were well enough to enjoy their Christmas presents.

    Peace to all, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, my precious friends. The cookies are made and I have eaten my share. Thumb is very sore. Daughter, you take care. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenora, hope your thumb is better in time for opening all the gifts you are sure to get! :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I think I can open gifts one-handed if I have to!!! Big Daddy left on a secret mission. Maybe he's talking to Santa??

    Thumb is not happy, but it's working!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lenora, I'm so sorry about your thumb! I know how I want sympathy when I hurt myself, so I understand. LOL

    Merry Christmas, all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these battle scars are another story to add all the others.

    I burned a finger in oil. Nothing major but I know I'll remembering it for years (specially on those years, after DD is married and goes to her in-laws and eat EVERYTHING ;)).

    There's only one traditional dessert that Dear Daughter enjoys so I was cooking it - it is similar to french toast I think: you fry a slice of bread, that was previously dumped in milk and then egg, and fry in hot oil. When browninsh on both sides you put in the recipient and on top of it you throw a caramel sauce that was done with sugar, water and cinnamon - so when I turned one slice in hot oil it spltter a bit on my finger. Amazing how you read about first aid everytime and when you burn you can't remember one single thing.

    So I'm sporting a fashionable band-aid in my ringer finger on the right hand. It calls attention to the bling so I'm definetlly not complaining ahahahahahah

    Better care next time. Hope you're over your thumb sore Elnora :).

    Take Care and Enjoy this Blessed Season!!!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive