Friday, December 24, 2010

12 Days of Christmas-Day 8


I start my email with "Dear Daniel..." and can't go on.

Why can't I write today? Seth is kicking so hard and I've had this feeling that something is going to happen. Maybe I should call the doctor.

I take in a deep breath and let it out slowly. My sweet husband is counting on me to email him everyday. I can't let him down.

I think over the last seven days and how each day has reminded me of the Christmas carol, The Twelve Days of Christmas, the song that Daniel used to show me how much he loved me.

But we never made it to eight maids a milking.
He was called up before we got to day 8.

I must focus and get this email written.

What can I write to Daniel about today? Maybe because I can't say what I want to.

I can't just say--Come home! I love you. I miss you!

That won't cheer him up.

I brush away a few stray tears. I hate being this emotional. I know that I'm not the only one missing my husband at Christmas. I have to be strong for Daniel, for little Seth. Pressing my hand over my abdomen, I whisper, "I love you and so does your daddy. You're going to be such a lucky boy." I smile and think of the future, our future.

Instead of eight maids a milking, I imagine sitting in the bleachers watching Seth in a Little League uniform.

The door bell. Oh, I'm a mess. Did I even comb my hair today?
The bell rings again.
Seth leaps within me.

Just like John the Baptist leaped in Elizabeth's womb when Mary who was carrying Jesus came to visit her.

Hurrying from my desk, I pause in the hall but decide not to look in the mirror. I open the door just a bit. "Hello?"

"Joy."

The voice is so familiar but it can't be--

And then Daniel is inside and hugging me.

"I haven't even combed my hair!" I shriek.

Daniel is laughing at me, but I don't care because I'm kissing him and hugging him.

"There was a change in assignments," he explains. "I'm home for two weeks."

I can't speak. All I can do is weep.

Thank you, Father, for bringing my sweet Daniel home. And please keep his friends and comrades safe.--Joy


Well, our Christmas story ends here. Hope you all enjoyed it! You'll have to finish the song without Daniel and Joy. They are too busy to think of anything but being together! Merry Christmas and may God bless our soldiers and sailors in harms way safe. Amen.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this lovely gift for all of the readers out there.

    May your Christmas be full of the joy that Mary, the Angels, and all felt at the birth of Jesus.

    Merry Christmas, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most excellent, and I'm expecting that now Daniel is home for the birth. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everyone, for the enjoyable story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ending to the story. Well done ladies. This was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice ending. I imagine little Seth being home while Daniel is home to be a part of it! Merry Christmas to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, the baby will come while daddy's home. This is a HEA story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I'm sure he'll be born asap. :)

    Thanks, Lyn, for tying together the end of the story. It's been fun.

    Merry Christmas everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyable story.....thanks! Hope all had a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive