Monday, December 6, 2010

Lyn Cote asks: Is it Pride...

if one is happy with what she has accomplished? I know I've heard--if it's true, it ain't brag. But as a Christian woman, I always feel a bit funny saying, "I'm really proud of my latest book."

This latest book is #34 for me. When I say that, I kind of can't believe it. THIRTY-FOUR BOOKS. I've written 34 books! Me? Lyn Cote?

At one time, I joked that I had been rejected by every editor in NYC. A bit of an exaggeration, but not much!

It's hard when you find yourself writing for a market that hasn't appeared yet. I was writing inspirational romance before it had found its audience and success. I'm so happy that so many other authors have found a home in this genre and with Love Inspired.

Anyway my 34th book, Her Healing Ways, debuts this week--at your local Wall-Mart or bookstore. Or if you like to order online, drop by my website.


Here's the scoop:

Unconventional. Unafraid. Unwelcome. A female physician with an adopted black daughter? The townsfolk of Idaho Bend will never accept Dr. Mercy Gabriel—even when faced with a deadly cholera epidemic. But all Mercy needs is one man willing to listen…and to trust.

Four years of war command turned Lon Mackey into a footloose gambler who can't abide attachments. Yet he can't help getting riled by the threats Mercy keeps receiving. Her trailblazing courage could reignite his faith and humanity. And his loyalty could make her dream—for the first time—of a family of her own….


Have any of you read the first two books in my Gabriel Sisters series? Her Captain's Heart and Her Patchwork Family? I loved writing this series:

"In the wake of the Civil War, three women combat injustice and find true love."

So again--is it pride? And what are you proud of?

BTW,
Drop by my blog tomorrow, Tuesday, Dec 7th. I'm making an important announcement!

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lyn. What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, Lyn, congratulations. It takes pioneers in any field to open the way for others. So thanks, too!

    I have always thought there is a difference between "pride" and "being proud". I know, I know, it is a distinction in my own mind. We can be proud of our children, our accomplishments, and how we handle situations as long as we recognize we never do anything alone but with God's help and plan in mind.

    Now, pride is a different matter. Pride is often discouraged in many denominations and sects because it leads to an inflated belief that we should credit only ourselves for all the good in our lives. It is all about "me" and nothing about what God created in us.

    This past week I have been especially proud of how I raised my kids. My daughter-in-law thanked me for raising such a good, strong man as she dealt with an unexpected death in her family. My daughter was hired for a job after being asked if she was as wonderful as her brother. (Yes, they will be working at the same firm.) As parents, we feel proud but we give God the credit for creating them in the first place and giving us plenty of guidance.

    Peace, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyn,
    Awesome post. Wonderful series. Thirty-four. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    You're comment was very timely. I applaud you. What a compliment to hear how your daughter landed her job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyn, congrats on the 34th book!

    Also, I like what Julie said about being proud. I agree. We just need to make sure that we give God the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Julie and all, pride is one thing feeling good about doing something that others benefit from isn't I don't think.
    And I know my writing career has always been in God's hands. The only credit I can take is that I didn't give up. I started writing in 1984 and didn't make my first sale till the Love Inspired line opened in 1997. That's a long time, but God has blessed me over and over! I praise him for his faithfulness!
    And Julie, so glad your kids had you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lyn, congratulations.

    Julie, what an excellent comment on pride.

    I believe that God warns us about pride when it doesn't acknowledge Him. I think, we can be proud of our accomplishments when we give God the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Lyn! That's just wonderful. I often liken my joy/pride in writing with the remark in 'Chariots of Fire' -- that 'I feel God's pleasure when I run.' I feel the same about my writing and sense you do, too. It's just awesome that we've been given such opportunity. And how can you not feel some satisfaction. I'm coming right behind you, too -- working on books #28 and #29.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you, Janet. You will soon surpass me. I fear I'm slowing down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your 34th book.
    I think pride has different meanings. We strive to have pride in what we do which is not bad it means we are striving to do the best we possibly can. I think when Pride can be wrong is when its boastful and agrogant and someone who is putting themselves and also when pride causes a person not to admit they are wrong or have done something wrong or they let there pride is more important to them than anything else.
    (or it could be a pride of lions!) ok its late!

    Im proud of the fact I completed Certificate 4 in business Admin and received 2 distinctions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm proud of you too, Jenny! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive