Wednesday, April 15, 2015

God is the great Knitter of things in my life. By Barbara Phinney

Now, above is a rather unusual title, don't you think? I knew this post was coming up, but hadn't really given thought to what I would write, nor was I too worried. Like most writers, I can chatter on about anything.
Then came last Sunday and I began to see that God is indeed the Great Knitter of my life. 
My husband and I were sitting in our usual pew in the sunshine. (I have no idea why I sit there. I am after all, 'of a certain age' and really don't need to be warmed by the sun) But a fellow writer, a good friend of mine, slid in beside me and all of us began to listen to the message that day.
The new series is called 'Living A Better Story'


Our pastor asked what do we need to do in each of our lives to make each a better story. What does a 'writer' of each story need to do?
I leaned over to my writer friend and whispered, "Kill your darlings."
She giggled. It's a common answer when writing a book. Especially a murder mystery.
But I'm thinking that isn't exactly what our Pastor wants us to do.
Then our Pastor held up an index card and said, "I want all of you to write down something you want out of your life and why."
Oh, great, homework. 
But bad memories of high school aside, his request got me thinking. What do I want? And why?
Naturally, I want to write that blockbuster, sell the movie rights and have the movie and all involved in it to win all the Oscars.
And why? So everyone earns millions of dollars.
Okaaaay, let's take a step back. It's good to have lofty goals, but what do I want that lines up with God's Plan? If I wanted to lose weight, why not write down spiritually healthy reasons why I want to lose weight. 
I'd answer;
I'd feel better and could do more.
I'd be encouraging others to make healthy choices in life.
I could help out in church more because I'd be healthier.
But although I could stand to lose a few pounds, what do I want out of my life? 
I want to write a great story, and touch people's lives for Christ. I want to follow the Holy Spirit's leading and encourage those who read my books to turn to God more. I hope my latest book, Sheltered by the Warrior, does that.


Why?
Because;
I would be helping others.
I would be stretching myself and learning to be a better writer.
Yes, that's a bit more in line with what my Pastor was thinking. Yes, I do want to live a better story. And I want to live a better story for Christ. So suddenly, my need to write a blog today is knitted together with my church's sermon series and what I need to do with my life.
Do you need to Live a Better Story? What would you do, and why?


Barbara Phinney 

6 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed by how the various threads of life weave together. So often the pastor's message hits right where I needed it. Thank you for sharing, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, this post is deep and insightful. Thank you. And thank your pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Barbara! I love when the sermon helps me with my story ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I love the pictures you took during your trip to the Holy Land. They've touched me for sure.

    Self examination is always beneficial. Are I'm walking the path God has asked me to walk? Am I listening to his voice? Am I responding with love? Which is what your pastor was talking about...cutting out the weeds so the wheat can grow.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for commenting. It is amazing when a sermon hits us personally. And Debby, you are so right. Cut out the weeds so the wheat can grow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when a sermon causes me to stop and reexamine my life. I'm glad your pastor's did that for you. And thanks to your post, the message goes on to help us, too.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive