Thursday, April 30, 2015

Changes


Do I look different? I’ve recently made a big change in my life. Some people like to do new and daring things to add excitement to their days. I’m more of a read in a book about people doing those things and making life-altering changes person. I don’t do unexpected change well.

But I know change is inevitable, and the change I've made is one I planned, wanted to do, and have prayed about for a while. The change? On April 17, I left the company I've worked for since I finished college 36 years ago to become a full-time author/freelance writer. (Yes, I graduated college at age four.) I had originally wanted to make the move about four years ago, but it turned out that wasn’t the right time. It's new and exciting and kind of scary. We have these habits we need to finance like eating and having a warm, dry place to live.

And I've been busier than ever the past couple of weeks with writing a proposal for the third book in my new Love Inspired series "The Donnelly Brothers: Hometown boys make good. . . and find love," which I put off because I was working so many house at my day job getting everything wrapped up. And I had line edits on the second book, Holiday Homing, and promotion for the first book, Winning the Teacher's Heart, which has been showing up in stores this week.

Jared Donnelly in Winning the Teacher's Heart is a little like me. He's recently retired at the top from motocross racing to start an new endeavor,building a “Big Brother/Sister” motocross school for fatherless and under privileged children in the hometown he left 15 years ago. He wants to open their hearts to Christ and introduce them to the opportunities racing opened to him. Only his change is likely to tear the heroine Becca Norton's world apart. I don't expect my change to cause anything so earth-shattering.

What kind of changes have you experienced recently?

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jean! Stepping out as a full-time author is a little scary, but it's so exciting and fulfilling. Your post reminds me that a little change is a good thing! My biggest change this year has been diving into ministry with Women's Bible Cafe online (http://www.womensbiblecafe.com/). What a blessing this is, and I thank the Lord for leading me there. I'm positive I receive far more than I give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean,
    I still have a ten year old at home and work a full-time job. Kudos for having the courage to make the leap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be a wonderful feeling Christine.

    Pamela -- My decision was a long time coming. I'm still going to do some writing for the company I worked for. But it's on my schedule and around my books and the additional time I want to give to our Book Nook project at church. One thing I'm having to get used to is not needing to use every minute until I collapse into bed at night to get everything for the day done. I suspect you have days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Jean!! :)

    My BIG change happened seven years ago when the Lord closed the door on my teaching career due to severe spinal problems. But that opened the door to many other wonderful opportunities in my life (including ministry projects and writing!) so His plans are always best.
    Blessings, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean, congrats! I thought you were going to say you got contacts or had surgery to correct you vision (noticed the new photo without glasses). :) But this is even bigger! I hope you enjoy your time writing.

    BTW, I love the new photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your retirement, Jean! That's the same BIG change I'm facing. My high school teacher hubby is retiring at the end of this school year. Gwynly loves what he does and had been feeling quite torn about his decision until recently, but I'm happy to report that he's started to get excited about the idea of a life without bells. I'm excited about being able to spend more time with my best friend. I'm also excited about the prospect of Gwynly doing more of the cooking. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive