Thursday, August 26, 2010

Absentminded

Pat Davids here,
I almost forgot to post today. Don't be surprised. I'm an absentminded person. If I have three things to pick up at the grocery story, I will remember two of them and then spend way too much time prowling the aisles looking for something to remind me of what that last item was. I come home with ten extra items every time and it isn't until I pull into the driveway that I remember what I didn't pick up. I can remember that William the Conqueror conquered England in 1066 but I can't remember I need butter.

Don't tell me I need to make a list. I do, and then I leave the list at home on the kitchen table.

It's just as bad in my office. I keep notes for things I need to look up or add to my stories. I have pages and pages of notes lying around. Sometimes it isn't until I'm cleaning out after I finish my book that I remember what I wanted to add.

And names! Don't get me started on remembering names. The minute I run into someone I haven't seen for awhile their name vanishes from every brain cell I own. It happened just the other day at my daughter's wedding shower. (I did remember her name.) But the mother of the groom walked in and her name flew out of my head. I stuttered a second waiting for the name to come back, I introduced her daughter, and then God was good and sent me Evelyn's name. I could have cheerfully dropped through the floor.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who does things like this. Is anyone else absentminded?
I try to look on the bright side. When I get dementia of old age no one will notice.
Blessings
Pat

8 comments:

  1. This definitely happens to me, Pat! Lol...and I always joke that I'm too young to have it happening : P

    I work at a grocery store in town and I see people I know all the time! I recognize them, don't get me wrong. I carry out a conversation with them, while I check them out, the whole time thinking, "Who the heck are YOU!?" Ugh! It'd very aggravating!

    So, no, to answer your question, you're NOT the only person to be like this!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could've written your post. I'd say it was my age, but I remember when I was in college, I had stood in line for a long time at the registrar's office. When I got to the front of the line, the woman asked me what I wanted. It took me a minute to think of what it was I wanted. Then she asked me my name. Oh, for the life of me, I couldn't tell her. I had to think real hard, but it came.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies, for letting me know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. I hate it when I walk into a room and forget why I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Pat! I've been getting bad with names lately. Drives me crazy!

    And Hannah! You're WAY too young to forget names! grin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when I have those so called 'brain cramps.' One time, I was in a martial arts class and needed to talk to one of the instructors but could not remember her name.

    Five minutes later, her name returned. I stood there waiting to see if someone else would call out her name but no one did.

    My definition of a 'brain cramp' is the 'sudden onset of a memory block that prevents one from recalling a name or tidbit of information.' Most of the time it is temporary.

    Dennis Clarkston
    AKA Clark Stone

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer to call it easily distracted. If not not right away I will forget to do things

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make lists & then forget the list. So I need a reminder to write the list & another reminder to take the list.

    marypres@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive