Tuesday, August 24, 2010

An empty house--Lenora Worth

We just packed up our son and watched him drive away to a new college. He'd been going to the local college for two years but he was ready for a new adventure away from home and living with his parents. I don't blame him. I grew up on a rural cross road in Georgia and I used to stand out in my front yard and think which road I'd take whenever it was time for me to leave. I couldn't wait to do just that.

But I chose marriage over college and moved to the big city of Atlanta. I felt like I could finally breathe and I knew I would be on my own grand adventure. Soon, we were living in a cute apartment and we had a baby to raise. My grand adventure involved formula and diapers and long walks around the complex, pushing a baby stroller. We had our ups and downs but when I look back and realize how very young we were I'm amazed that we found our way through. So I don't know why I worry about my two grown children. They will survive and thrive just the way my husband and I did. We had our share of ups and downs, money problems and issues. But we held tight and made it through.

These are the kind of stories we write in our books--stories of real life struggles and worries, stories of happy moments and true joy and stories of triumph over pain. Love always wins out; this is the very foundation of what we write.

And tonight, while I sit here listening to the quiet in my house, I know love will win out with those I care about the most. The same moon I see out the window is shining down on those I love, no matter where they are. And God in his wisdom will watch over them. I can breathe again because this crossroad is just another path on a long journey. As long as we have Christ as our Truth North, we can always find our way. Have you ever taken a different path that changed your life?

3 comments:

  1. Lenora -- this is a thought-provoking blog. I can think of several forks in the road of my life -- going to college instead of getting a job out of high school (made a big difference for me); not marrying that guy from high school (an even bigger difference -- he didn't turn out well as he aged); going to graduate school (a big winner) -- the list goes on. I have to give credit to God for leading me in paths I couldn't even see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet. I do believe that God is right there with us on the paths we take, even if we didn't purposely invite him along for the trip! Looking back, I can certainly see his hand in all my paths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lenora, you made me cry! Good for you for having a positive attitude about it. I hope I do as well when my last child leaves home.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive