Friday, May 3, 2013

Ask Elnora--About RT in Kansas City-Lenora Worth

Hello my lovely ladies and Vince! What a week we have had. I got home from my girls' beach trip and turned around to pack for Kansas City. I am attending the Romantic Times Book Lovers Convention. We drove across the country to get here and the weather was so nice, we put the top down on my little Mini Cooper. As I write this, however, it is snowing! I can see it out the window of our hotel room. I'll show a picture of that later. The scoop here, of course, is all about e-books and self-publishing. Mark Coker (of Smashwords fame) showed some compelling statics regarding the rise of e-publishing since this time last year and how authors who really promote their e-books can sell an impressive number of books. Covers count, he believes. Staying on top of promoting your books adds up to more books sold. And pricing your book around $2.99 to $3.99 seems to be important. Of course, good old traditional books were plentiful and in demand around here, too.

I was on a panel with Colleen Coble, Thomas-Nelson Senior Acquisitions Editor Ami McConnell and Deeanne Gist and we had a good time talking books with both aspiring writers and avid readers. I was touched when two of the audience members told me mine was the first inspirational they ever read and that they loved my books. They bragged on all of us, actually. One sweet lady said her daughter brings her to RT to meet her favorite writers. We had a great time. I also had lunch with writers Sherri Shackelford and Winnie Griggs along with Diane Moggy and Glenda Howard (both from Harlequin) We talked about a lot of things, especially the new HAN (Harlequin Authors Network) and how much we like it.

In the meantime, I've enjoyed walking around Union Station with Big Daddy. Below are some pictures of this beautiful train station that now holds shops and restaurants. Lucky for us, there is an enclosed catwalk around the hotels that lead to the station and a mall. Here are some pictures of our adventures:

 
 
 
So snow in May, e-books the topic of the day, all sorts of costumes and writers, 30 years of romance and lots of laughter and fun. RT has only just begun. And we, the writers, thank RT for a great convention and we hope for many more years of reading, writing and good intention!!!
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Lenora! Sounds like a fun experience. Great pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so jealous. I went when it was in California, and enjoyed it so much. Do tell us what you're learning about inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenora, I wish I was there! I love snow. Love talking books. Love meeting other writers and readers. Tell everyone hello and make sure to take care of Big Daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenora,

    Thanks for the RT update. So good to hear how inspy-friendly the conference has become. I'm thinking maybe next year...

    Have fun! Hope the snow melts before you drive home.

    Brrrr!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow is gone. Very cold!! I am in award ceremony room, waiting for the start. No luncheon, but stadium type seating. I'm so proud of Winnie Griggs. She is here. Haven't seen Patricia David and some of the others. We had another good panel this morning. More later!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    Ah, Kansas City:

    That was where I asked my wife to marry me. We were in a fancy hotel restaurant sitting in a private corner near a window that looked down on the Kansas City Royals baseball park. The field was visible and the players were small. As I gave her the diamond and awailted an answer, I could see the baseball diamond out of the corner of my eye and I thought that this was pretty good mirroring.

    She said yes!

    Vince

    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun! I've never gone but may have to try next year. Thanks for posting :)

    And what a cool story Vince! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vince, what a sweet story. Love it

    I have hugged Patricia David, Deeanne Gist, Stephanie Grace Whitson, and Rachel Hauck. Oh, and Mindy Starns Clark. A whole lot of hugging going on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RT is in New Orleans next year!! FYI!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive