Friday, May 17, 2013

Ask Elnora--About traveling to exotic places--Lenora Worth

Where in the world have I been? Well, I've been jetting here and there all over the world. Actually, I was riding in a car (sometimes with the top down) and traveling all over the United States. First, I drove an hour to Gulf Shores, Alabama to visit with some of my Louisiana friends. Then after a whirlwind weekend of sun and fun, I came home and unpacked then loaded the suitcase to head off to the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention in Kansas City, Missouri. Had a blast there then hurried home to write for two days before packing again for a wedding in St. Augustine, Florida.

(Insert picture of old walls and jasmine here) Yes, I tried to download pictures and they kept coming in sideways so you'll just have to image them being here unless someone can tell me how to make them stand up straight!) Not very happy about that and after trying several times, had me a royal hissy fit. But ... St. Augustine is beautiful and old and has the most gorgeous palm trees and old, moss-draped oaks. I remember it from a high school choir trip--well, I remembered the city and flirting with one of the boys from the choir a lot. This time,  I wanted to stay there and explore more of the city but we had to come home.

All of this traveling got me to thinking about exotic locations and how we use them in our stories. I'm sure I'll set a book in St. Augustine one day. Which means another road trip to St. Augustine. It is the nation's oldest city and it begs a writer to stroll down the cobblestone streets and stop for coffee in one of the quaint cafes. The shopping is pretty good, too. There is a lot of art to study and some of the most beautiful buildings you'll ever see. A perfect place for a wedding and a perfect place to set a romance novel.

So tell me, what is your favorite exotic location? Tell us about it!

16 comments:

  1. I love St Augustine. Did you tour Flagler College? Flagler's mansion is now the main building on campus.
    Lovely!

    Southern cities of note: Charleston and Savannah. I've used both settings in my books.

    Hmmm? Perhaps it's time for a road trip!

    Lenora, tell us about RT. Are you going to New Orleans next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to write about the forest I live in. But I've been to St Augustine a few times. I love the old San Marco fort with its seashells walls and foundation and the old pirate cannons.
    Lenora, if you keep this pace up, your shoes will sprout wheels and you'll just whizz from place to place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've traveled the midwest and west, but very little in the East. I've been to Orlando, but I was ten and the only thing I remember except for Grandpa's house is going to Gatorland.

    Yes, tell us about RT.

    Hmmm, New Orleans. Maybe I need to start saving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live near Savannah, Debby if you are ever near give me a holler would love to meet in person...Eugenia Price wrote many books about Ga and florida I think I have read them all. Lenora you need an RV, just travel and write.
    Paula O

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Savannah. My in-laws used to leave near there. I love Tybee Island and used it as inspiration for my Sunset Island series many years ago. I would love to go to Charleston for a stay. We've driven past but never explored. I want to go to Cumberland Island one day, too. My home state of Georgia has some lovely spots! Debby, I hope to go to RT in New Orleans next year. I had a great time in KC, except for the cold cold days! It was so different from other conferences but good for networking!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, if you want to see one of my St. Augustine pictures go to my facebook profile page and scroll down. Debby, we did see the Flagler building. Amazing. Reminded me of the Titanic. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lenora, I love St. Augustine. Grew up a few miles north on the Florida coast. Now that I live in Savannah I've tried to lure many of my writer friends to the area. Full of inspiration and history and good food. Alas, only one has taken me up on the offer so far.

    ~Renee~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula, I'd love meeting you in Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renee, are there any writer/reader events in your area? Wouldn't that be fun to get together...plus, Paula could join us there.

    Pam, you need to come east!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, Debby, you come West and I'll head East. I've only been East for RWA conferences. When I graduated college, though, my choices were move to AZ or move to Mass.

    I headed for AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good choice, Pam! I'd pick AZ over Mass every time!

    And I want to attend Dessert Dreaming. Isn't that your conference? In 2014, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live about 70 miles north of St. Augustine, at least until next Wed. when we'll be headed to Arizona. Hi, Pamela. I've been to all 50 states, and my daughter just went to Utah, and she now has visited all 50 states, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're moving, Merrillee? To where in Arizona?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Renee, where did you live in Florida. I grew up in SW Georgis. Merrillee, I want to visit Amelia Island one day. Lyn, good idea on the wheeled shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Renee, where did you live in Florida. I grew up in SW Georgis. Merrillee, I want to visit Amelia Island one day. Lyn, good idea on the wheeled shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have the Desert Rose Conference, which we do every other year. We try to bring in an inspy author every time. Last time, we had Winnie Grigg :)

    It's a great conference.

    You have a pretty great one yourself. It's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive