Sunday, August 18, 2013

Roping the Wrangler Interview

How exciting to have Sarah Hansen, the heroine from Roping the Wrangler written by Lacy Williams, an August 2013 release from Love Inspired Historical.

1.  Sarah, tell me the most interesting thing about you.


Sarah: I’m a schoolteacher—

Cecilia: That ain’t interesting. 

A little girl peeks around the corner.

Sarah: Don’t say ‘ain’t.’

A giggle reveals a second little girl. Both have dark hair and dancing eyes.

Susie: But Miz Sarah, they asked what was interestin’ about you, and that’s jest your job.

Sarah: (sighs) These are some of my students. Cecilia is eleven, her sister Susie is eight. And they also have a baby sister, Velma.

On Cecilia’s hip, Velma coos.

Sarah: Girls, if you don’t think being a schoolteacher is interesting, then what is?

Susie: Why, you sparkin’ the Horseman.

Sarah (blushes) Oscar White and I are not courting.

Cecilia: That ain’t what we heard.

Sarah: Don’t say ‘ain’t.’ 


2.  What do you put off doing because you dread it?


Cecilia: (snickers) Facin’ off with the big boys.

Sarah: That’s not true. If discipline is needed, I do what I must.

Cecilia: (whispers to the side) She’s afraid to whup that Junior Allen ‘cause he’ll tattle to his daddy—head of the school board. 

Susie: (nods emphatically)

Sarah: (exasperated) Girls.


3.  What are you most afraid of?


Cecilia, Susie: (together) Horses!

Sarah: (laughs, ruffles their hair affectionately) It’s true. They frighten me. 

Susie: So how’d you end up with a beau that’s got horses as his job?

Sarah: I told you, Oscar and I are not courting.


4.  What do you want out of life?


Susie: That’s easy.

Cecilia: Yeah! Everybody ‘round these parts knows Miz Sarah wants to catch herself a husband.

Sarah: Girls!

Susie: It’s true, ain’t it?

Sarah: Don’t say ‘ain’t.’ And yes, I want to marry someday, but only when I meet the right man.

Cecilia: Like the Horseman?

Sarah: Not like Oscar. I’m not interested in marrying a cowboy.

Susie: Why not? He ain’t bad to look at.

Cecilia: Rumor is, he’s got his own place back home in Bear Creek.

Sarah: I don’t want to fall in love with someone who has such a dangerous occupation. The Horseman travels all over to participate in cowboy exhibitions—bronc riding and the like! What if he was hurt? 


5.  What is the most important thing to you?


Sarah: My students. (she slides an arm around each of the girls’ shoulders, hugging them lightly) I want the best for my students in the classroom, and also outside of the classroom, in their homes.

Cecilia: (leans forward to share a confidence) She means she’s nosy. Likes to pry into our business.

Sarah: (sighs)


6.  Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?


Susie: Reckon Miz Sarah cain’t rightly have a pet. She boards with them Allens on their ranch outside-a town.

Cecilia: Yessir, it’d be mighty hard to keep a kittie or somethin’ when you’ve got to share a room and bed with someone else. We should know. All three of us sleep in the same bed.

Susie: And Velma wiggles 

Cecilia: Well, you kick.

Susie: Do not!

Cecilia: Do too!

Sarah: Girls, please. No, I don’t have a pet.


7. Can you tell us a little interesting tidbit about the time period you live in?


Sarah: In a one-room schoolhouse in this era, schoolteachers are expected to do practically everything for the school.

Susie: That’s true. I seen ya get to the school when it’s dark ‘n early to start the stove. 

Cecilia: And stay late to grade our work and clean up the room.

Susie: And remember that one time she had to fix the broken step?

Cecilia: Yup, she hammered away all during our lunch break, she did.

Sarah: (blushes)Yes, well, thank you for that, girls. And thank you for imposing on—I mean, being a part of my interview today.


Read more about Sarah and the girls in ROPING THE WRANGLER.

1 comment:

  1. LOL, I enjoyed every moment. I'm quite fond of school teachers, too.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive